justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index justcycling.myfastforum.org
Just Cycling
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)  
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sticky Articles
Smarauder Trophy - Running Total 2017
Comments and problems thread
The Cobblestone Fantasy Cycling League
The NRT Fantasy League
2017 Season
Cycling on TV & Internet
Smaurauder Trophy - Calendar 2017
Popular Topics
Giro 2017:Dolce,Cafe and Grappa! Stages 16-21May 23rd - 28th
FPs for Giro Week 1 + Jerseys: 5th-12th May 2017
Giro 2017:I Primi Piatti: Stages 7-10: May 12th-16th.
FPs for Giro Wk 2, stages 8 to 14: 13th - 20th May 2017
Tour de Romandie, starts Tues, 25th April
Critérium du Dauphiné: Sun 4th June - Sun 11th June 2017
Tour of Romandie
Giro 2017: I Secondi Piatti:-Stages 11-15:-May 17th-21st
Top posters
HuwB 14709
Bartali 13461
kathy 12847
CapeRoadie 10191
Mrs John Murphy 8673
Biosphere 8527
Nolte 6679
Slapshot 3 6540
Fontfroide 6062
smarauder68 5365
gerry12ie 5147
SlowRower 4990
Sooty 4913
bianchigirl 4726
cardinal guzman 4659
Boogerd_Fan 4590
Ralphnorman 4323
crash48 4283
mr shifter 4117
cyclingtv 3854
berck 3767
sheeponabike 3723
last km 3593
bbnaz 3515
naspa 3505
Ibuprofen is performance enhancing

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Dr.Fuentes Consulting Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SlowRower



Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 4990


Location: 62 West Wallaby Street, Wigan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Ibuprofen is performance enhancing  Reply with quote

I tweaked my old back injury a week or so ago, which results in the muscles in my lower back going into spasm. In such a condition, if left to sort itself out naturally, I can barely stand up straight for several days and most certainly cannot ride a bike for at least three weeks. However, if I take industrial quantities of Ibuprofen, the spasms are quickly brought under control, as they are a result of inflammation following a leak of disc fluid rather than muscle damage. Thus, Ibuprofen buys me at least two weeks training time per relapse vs letting Mother Nature do her stuff.

As it's not on the WADA list, I'm not cheating, but my performance levels are definitely benefitting from some non-natural assistance from the medicine cabinet. I have quite a few such relapses, so on average I get six weeks more training per year than going "au naturel".

Related to this, there is a prescription only drug - Omeprazol, of which I have a large stock-pile - that is also not on WADA's list that allows you to take double the recommended dose of Ibuprofen without b*ggering your stomach, thus enhancing the speed of recovery even more.

I have to ask why this pair of drugs are allowed in respect of recovery from injury when steroids aren't. It does all seem rather arbitrary at the margins.

On a lighter note, for those who think I take too many holidays, the latest relapse manifested itself at 3am when I got up to drive to the airport to go off on another one and couldn't actually get dressed unaided. Luckily, I was able to bribe my kids to put my shoes and socks on, otherwise I suspect Mrs SR would have just left me behind. Smile
_________________
You don't like cheese? Not even Wensleydale?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slapshot 3
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Oct 2006
Posts: 6540


Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ibuprofen is performance enhancing Reply with quote

SlowRower wrote:
I tweaked my old back injury a week or so ago, which results in the muscles in my lower back going into spasm. In such a condition, if left to sort itself out naturally, I can barely stand up straight for several days and most certainly cannot ride a bike for at least three weeks. However, if I take industrial quantities of Ibuprofen, the spasms are quickly brought under control, as they are a result of inflammation following a leak of disc fluid rather than muscle damage. Thus, Ibuprofen buys me at least two weeks training time per relapse vs letting Mother Nature do her stuff.

As it's not on the WADA list, I'm not cheating, but my performance levels are definitely benefitting from some non-natural assistance from the medicine cabinet. I have quite a few such relapses, so on average I get six weeks more training per year than going "au naturel".

Related to this, there is a prescription only drug - Omeprazol, of which I have a large stock-pile - that is also not on WADA's list that allows you to take double the recommended dose of Ibuprofen without b*ggering your stomach, thus enhancing the speed of recovery even more.

I have to ask why this pair of drugs are allowed in respect of recovery from injury when steroids aren't. It does all seem rather arbitrary at the margins.

On a lighter note, for those who think I take too many holidays, the latest relapse manifested itself at 3am when I got up to drive to the airport to go off on another one and couldn't actually get dressed unaided. Luckily, I was able to bribe my kids to put my shoes and socks on, otherwise I suspect Mrs SR would have just left me behind. Smile


Doper..... Wink

I can't find my life saver Diclofenac or it's constituents on there ...sorted!!

MIND YOU...... the stuff for blood pressure, depression, asthma might cause an issue or two!!!
_________________
Don't give a damn about the peripheral shit anymore....just let me see some good bike racing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlowRower



Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 4990


Location: 62 West Wallaby Street, Wigan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ibuprofen is performance enhancing Reply with quote

Slapshot 3 wrote:
Doper..... Wink


This is the highlight of my sporting career - being accused of doping. Smile
_________________
You don't like cheese? Not even Wensleydale?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Slapshot 3
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Oct 2006
Posts: 6540


Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ibuprofen is performance enhancing Reply with quote

SlowRower wrote:
Slapshot 3 wrote:
Doper..... Wink


This is the highlight of my sporting career - being accused of doping. Smile


Just wait till MJM gets here you're bolloxed mate!!
_________________
Don't give a damn about the peripheral shit anymore....just let me see some good bike racing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlowRower



Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 4990


Location: 62 West Wallaby Street, Wigan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donned my flame-proof "smalls" before hitting "Submit" earlier. I have everything covered, literally and metaphorically!
_________________
You don't like cheese? Not even Wensleydale?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bartali



Joined: 06 Oct 2006
Posts: 13461


Location: Bartalishire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlowRower wrote:
I donned my flame-proof "smalls" before hitting "Submit" earlier.


Well at least you didn't have to ask you kids to help with that ....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
berck
Site Admin


Joined: 09 Oct 2006
Posts: 3767


Location: SF Bay Area

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered the same thing a few years ago SR. Why did you let the secret out??? Wink
_________________
Do, or do not. There is no try.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
SlowRower



Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 4990


Location: 62 West Wallaby Street, Wigan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berck wrote:
I discovered the same thing a few years ago SR. Why did you let the secret out??? Wink


Full disclosure - I shall be naming the manufacturers, doctors and pharmacists next week in the whole sordid supply chain. Smile
_________________
You don't like cheese? Not even Wensleydale?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlowRower



Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 4990


Location: 62 West Wallaby Street, Wigan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bartali wrote:
SlowRower wrote:
I donned my flame-proof "smalls" before hitting "Submit" earlier.


Well at least you didn't have to ask you kids to help with that ....


Didn't need to. I've popped so many Cuprofen maximum strength tablets today that I am rattling as well as highly mobile. Smile
_________________
You don't like cheese? Not even Wensleydale?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nolte



Joined: 15 Oct 2006
Posts: 6679


Location: irlande

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good on you SR for ignoring Omerta
_________________
Hi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sabcarrera



Joined: 11 Oct 2006
Posts: 290



PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My blood pressure tablets are diuretics.
I am the lowest of the low. A no good cheat. The police should take a hacksaw to my bike.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Dr.Fuentes Consulting Room All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum