Archive for justcycling.myfastforum.org Just Cycling
 


       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Around the World
Slapshot

Training Diary

If we set up a thread to log our training, would people be interested to post?

I am up for it
redster73

I would. Might be an added incentive to try and keep up with the others etc.
crash48

But then all my training techniques and drills etc could be used by our fellow posters to improve and we can’t have that now can we?
paperman

Will do, although this time of year I'll just be putting in the miles. But I'm sure I could write something.
Ralphnorman

i'll put stuff up, it'll be interesting to see how we all train Cool
thunderthighs

rest monday
squats tuseday.. 315 lbs 4@25 reps to the ground..start right away no warm up
wednesday..swimming at olympic pool
thursday..rest.. active..play tennis..teach serve..
friday 8x2oo metre running 28sec/+ 200 rec..york oval with Ben..
saturday. mountain bike.. 2 hours..
sunday ride with gang 3 hours.. or interval training.

works for me..

ciao
Ralphnorman

not bad at all tt
Bartali

Yeap ... I'm up for it, but my training is starting from absolutely nothing!
paperman

Out today nice easy pace. 3hrs 51mins, covered 112Km undulating terrain no major hills or drops. Averaged 29Km/hr. Top speed I hit was a mere 62km/hr.
I'll be out tomorrow also. Staying out longer increasing the distance.

I'll pick up the pace and distance as next season approaches. I'll head out for some sprinting during the week.
mayofan

Quote:
squats tuseday.. 315 lbs 4@25 reps to the ground..start right away no warm up


25 reps of 315...thunderthighs is apt i think..25 reps squatting anything is tough, not to mind a nice weight like that
CapeRoadie

crash48 wrote:
But then all my training techniques and drills etc could be used by our fellow posters to improve and we can’t have that now can we?


Laughing

I see you're beginning to understand the pro cyclists' point of view...
CapeRoadie

thunderthighs wrote:
rest monday
squats tuseday.. 315 lbs 4@25 reps to the ground..start right away no warm up
wednesday..swimming at olympic pool
thursday..rest.. active..play tennis..teach serve..
friday 8x2oo metre running 28sec/+ 200 rec..york oval with Ben..
saturday. mountain bike.. 2 hours..
sunday ride with gang 3 hours.. or interval training.

works for me..

ciao


Four sets of 25 reps at 315, TT? You ANIMAL! Let me guess... 315 IS the warm-up for you? You must have thunder thighs.

I'd recommend a warm-up for everyone else before squatting, with light weight to get your muscles ready.
CapeRoadie

mayofan wrote:
Quote:
squats tuseday.. 315 lbs 4@25 reps to the ground..start right away no warm up


25 reps of 315...thunderthighs is apt i think..25 reps squatting anything is tough, not to mind a nice weight like that


I'll give you all a little secret: want to build strength but not mass? Do 6-7 sets of 6 reps of the heaviest weight you can lift. Want strength and mass? Do 3-4 sets of 12 reps with the heaviest weight you can lift. Want to build endurance and not mass? Do it like TT: 25 reps with the heaviest weight you can lift.

25 reps of body weight squats is not tough, mayofan, unless you've eating too much mayo.
mayofan

well...body weight isnt hard...heavy, deep squats give anybody a good workout though..squats are linked in my head to cold sweating, racing pulse and a feeling that you could puke at any minute

id like to think ive got good leg strength but 25 reps of 315(bout 140 kilos i think) is out of my league...thats twice my body weight..ive done 12 reps of 130 kilos but thats pushing myself

TT, you must be a heavily built guy to squat like that, unless youre a complete freak
CapeRoadie

Trust me, he's a complete freak.
thunderthighs

not at al iam 215..all legs.. upper body normal.. look at pcitures of saronni when he won track sprints,just a little bigger on legs..

as of now.. 2day..iam almost on form.. 405@15reps.4sets 6 min between sets

warmup..is 315 1@20.. ciao
sheeponabike

This thread is giving me the squats....
thunderthighs

avoid comfort zone work outs... try dead lifts.. straight high pulls from ground..
claen and jerk.. snatch press.. ciao
Ralphnorman

you are an animal tt Shocked
redster73

Screwed up wrist big time can't put weight on it training ride out of window...F**king football I need to make me mind up at this age.
Bartali

Bad news Red - whats the prognosis?
redster73

Off to A & E this morning. It might juts be a bad sprain but after my ACL fiasco I'm gonna wait 6 hours in casualty rather than 6 months for a consultant...
redster73

Panic over, no fractures just sprained. No cycling for a while...well at least until Tuesday!
thunderthighs

red use your turbo trainer/rollers.. ciao
Bartali

Good news Red.
redster73

Day one of training...extend the commute from East Croydon to white City fucking puncture in Streatham bloody sarf London roads!
redster73

Here's my plan perhaps a touch naive but gonna give it punt anyways.

1. Extended cycle commute means I'm cycling 20 miles a day 3 x a week
2. Midweek day off 2-3 hour ride
3. Sundays 3 hours +
4. Come spring can hop off train and get another 20-30 miles in on way home (but not every night)

Problems:

1. How to recreate 20km climbs - Ditchling Beacon's a bitch but it's only 1-2km if that!
2. Getting off childcare duties on the Sunday (wife's training for London Marathon)
3. Love of beer and fine cuisine could prove hazardous
4. Do I have enough jerseys?
5. No money for turbo
6. Xmas...
paperman

Try it redster.
how many miles you doing? Are you racing next season?

I must get back to posting my rides here.
Bartali

redster73 wrote:
Here's my plan perhaps a touch naive but gonna give it punt anyways.

1. Extended cycle commute means I'm cycling 20 miles a day 3 x a week
2. Midweek day off 2-3 hour ride
3. Sundays 3 hours +
4. Come spring can hop off train and get another 20-30 miles in on way home (but not every night)

Problems:

1. How to recreate 20km climbs - Ditchling Beacon's a bitch but it's only 1-2km if that!
2. Getting off childcare duties on the Sunday (wife's training for London Marathon)
3. Love of beer and fine cuisine could prove hazardous
4. Do I have enough jerseys?
5. No money for turbo
6. Xmas...


Red - I think the plan is sound. If you can keep that up you will have no problems. As for the hills, try a route where you go over the beacon a few times (or equivalent). You'll be fine.
chasm

For the past couple of months I've been scooting around the country working, and I don't know about you lot but having no opportunity to establish a routine completely fucks my ability to train. So having been in good shape at the end of August I am now feeling my age.

However, I am now back to something approaching a stable schedule and able to commute by bike. So this week I've done about 160 miles (including a club run on Sunday) and I should manage about 100 next week. At the moment I'm principally interested in restoring my basic aerobic fitness so am not doing anything too tough. I am doing core work, though - at my age the abs seem to go out of shape pretty fast without attention - and working on keeping the calves and hamstrings long. I'm also doing some moderate strength stuff, including careful squats (old, worn knees) in the hope that this will stand me in good stead in the Spring. Essentially the aim is to get to the Tour of Ireland (May) in a state that might allow me to keep up with Berg and Paperman for the first hour each day.
paperman

Chasm you'll be able to keep up with me...I garantee it... Very Happy  Very Happy
Slapshot

don't worry, I have barely touch my bike so far this autum, apart from the Turbo, but that is more a placebo effect than anything else..... can't wait for the TOI!!!!!
redster73

Went out this morning for a gentle spin after playing footy yesterday...how wrong I was! Cycling into the teeth of a gale almost came to a complete halt. Driving rain and gale force winds I can understand why some favour turbo!
chasm

redster73 wrote:
Went out this morning for a gentle spin after playing footy yesterday...how wrong I was! Cycling into the teeth of a gale almost came to a complete halt. Driving rain and gale force winds I can understand why some favour turbo!


+1. The club run I went on this morning was three hours of unremitting rain and spray. None too warm, either. Does doing this mean I'm tough, or just stupid?
paperman

An icy cold wind, rain and wet roads as well as being tired meant I did not go on the club run this morning. Hate being sprayed in a bunch. The swimming pool is looking very good these days. I'll do the club run next weekend.
redster73

chasm wrote:
Does doing this mean I'm tough, or just stupid?


Stupid of course, who else would go out in that sort of weather when the bed is still warm and there's coffee to be sipped! Very Happy
Slapshot

redster73 wrote:
chasm wrote:
Does doing this mean I'm tough, or just stupid?


Stupid of course, who else would go out in that sort of weather when the bed is still warm and there's coffee to be sipped! Very Happy


ME!! Rolling Eyes
kellyrocheearly

have been churning out the 3 hour back to back weekend rides for the past month but now the snow has arrived and this weekend will probably be spent on the rollers with a decent DVD to pass the time
redster73

And so it begins first training ride of the new year after a month out of the saddle due to work, man flu and kids...bloody killed me. New heart rate monitor finally works and showed me at 177 bpm up Devils Dyke...now got to work out if that's a good sign or not!

Real problem came this morning on 13 mile commute. High cadence - low resistance. Legs felt like lead after a gruelling footy match Sat and the ride yesterday and then blown sideways with every turn and into a f**king great gale over Wandsworth bridge. Lunchtime and can hardly move me legs!

Hopefully the ride home will be slightly easier...
cardinal guzman

redster73 wrote:
And so it begins first training ride of the new year after a month out of the saddle due to work, man flu and kids...bloody killed me. New heart rate monitor finally works and showed me at 177 bpm up Devils Dyke...now got to work out if that's a good sign or not!

Real problem came this morning on 13 mile commute. High cadence - low resistance. Legs felt like lead after a gruelling footy match Sat and the ride yesterday and then blown sideways with every turn and into a f**king great gale over Wandsworth bridge. Lunchtime and can hardly move me legs!

Hopefully the ride home will be slightly easier...


Take a butty in case you bonk!
redster73

I have a bar waiting ready to go! Fortunately my ride home is shorter as I can't get me bike on the train at East Croydon so only go as far as Clapham! Short 5 mile sprint effort as I always seem to leave work late!
redster73

Yesterday's ride much stronger - 47 mins, 29 kph avg (in rush hour traffic!)

Today rest day working at home tomorrow 30 miler up over the north downs

Worrying thing was topping 16 stone on the scales how the f**k I'm gonna drag that up the Tourmalet is beyond me! Diet tips?...and don't worry won't bore you all with a constant daily update!
CapeRoadie

Eat less.
redster73

...and drink less, cut out wheat, diary etc et al and so on and so on...life is so cruel!
chasm

redster73 wrote:
...and drink less, cut out wheat, diary etc et al and so on and so on...life is so cruel!


Wouldn't worry about the wheat and dairy unless you have some sort of intolerance.

Less carbs, less booze, plenty of protein and cabbage/broccoli/beans blah blah blah and more work on the bike and in the gym. That'll sort you out.

Did I mention less booze?
redster73

chasm wrote:

Did I mention less booze?


yes twice!
Bartali

Red ... If it makes you feel any better, I am also struggling with my weight.  Though not nearly 16st, I am a good stone over what I should be!

Went to the gym yesterday to work on my bad leg with the leg extender machine.  Good leg (and that's not been used much) can shift five times more weight than the bad leg.  That really shocked me!

Still I have entered La Marmotte, but my goal is now to finish rather than better my 2006 time.

On the plus side ... its only January and there is a long way to go.

Oh ... and please carry on posting the training updates.  It makes good reading.
thunderthighs

eat at different times.. after 7pm  stop... ciao
redster73

thunderthighs wrote:
eat at different times.. after 7pm  stop... ciao


I wish never get home from work until after 8
redster73

Bartali wrote:
Red ... If it makes you feel any better, I am also struggling with my weight.  Though not nearly 16st, I am a good stone over what I should be!

Went to the gym yesterday to work on my bad leg with the leg extender machine.  Good leg (and that's not been used much) can shift five times more weight than the bad leg.  That really shocked me!

Still I have entered La Marmotte, but my goal is now to finish rather than better my 2006 time.

On the plus side ... its only January and there is a long way to go.

Oh ... and please carry on posting the training updates.  It makes good reading.


Same happened after my cruciate op - one leg so much stronger than the other. Always work legs separately and allow the weaker one to catch up. I also found skipping on one leg advantagous...
berck

One thing I've done and read about is eating more often during the day, but cut down the calories. Eat the three normal meals, plus a light snack in between the meals and one before going to bed. This will keep the body thinking its getting enough food and help burn off fat too. Starving causes the body to burn the muscle first before the fat.

When I've done this, I lost weight and felt that I was never hungry. Unfortunately it requires discipline and figuring out every calorie you eat. Something I haven't been able to do lately. Smile
behemoth

I just went to clipless pedals recently and am still getting used to them.

Toward the end of a ride this weekend, I was slowing, waiting for a car to pass in front of me, decided at the last moment that I would have to stop, went to put my foot down, and... of course, forgot to unclip, going down hard.

Sprained my wrist pretty good, but luckily nothing broken.  Talk about feeling like an idiot... Sad  Probably won't be able to ride again for another week at least.
redster73

Know the feeling happens to me at traffic lights
Slapshot

letīs be honest, it has happen to all of us at somepoint, even more than once. Funny thing is, well not that funny, that from all those stupid falls, you get the worse injuries!!!!
Juggernaut

I think every cyclist that has used clipless peals has done that at least once. I know I have! Smile

I'm planning on losing around 7kg before l'etape (no idea what that is in 'stone'). Just cutting out the booze does it for me. Takes a bit of will-power at first, but once the results start coming through it gets easier.

I still haven't worked out what my training plan will be. I've started riding with my club's Sunday bunch, who normally do around 100km at a brisk pace (well, it's brisk for me at the moment).  I'm doing a lot on my VR trainer, and it really is brilliant for getting the miles in when it's dark outside. I'm going to start using the Real Life Videos that Bartali mentioned for my climbing training, and I hear that they have an RLV of Tourmalet coming out soon. I'm also using the trainer for on-line competitions. Not real-time racing, but the leagues at www.virtualcycling.org. I'm doing an 8-day tour at the moment (everyone cycles a new stage every day and uploads the results), and after 4 stages I'm clinging grimly to 4th spot. Today is the decisive big mountain stage though, and I'm shattered, so I'm hoping not to do a 'Landis' (cracking I mean, not doping...).  It's a lot of fun, very motivating and quite painful. The stages are really short, but very intense, and it does give you a small hint of what it's like to push it to the limit every day.
thunderthighs

14 lbs is 1 stone... ciao
MAILLOT JAUNE

There are 2.2lbs to one kg.
7 kgs is about 1.1 stone
redster73

Stones, LBs or Kgs either way I'm carrying too many of them!

30 miler over the lumps of Sussex today. No probs nice steady 28-30kph. Driving rain and f**king teeth of gale. Problem now is the heart rate monitor...another computerized read out to keep worrying about to add to speed and cadence - might forget to pedal one of these days!
thunderthighs

you are all getting to fancy..keep it fast..short.. and avoid muscle overheat..

through those gadgest in the garbage..

ciao
Bartali

I'm with TT on this one.  I don't use HR monitors or computers whilst out on the road.  On the turbo trainer I only focus on power.

On that note I can report that I found an extra 23 Watts today and climbed at an average of 217 watts over an 8.8km climb.  By far my best post operation ride.  Felt a bit fresher, but I think some of the credit should go to TT who got me thinking about pushing my heels down (rather that pointing my toes). Thx TT.

Still a longway short of where I would like to be at this time of the year and around 60-70 watts short of last summer but tonight I am feeling pleased with my self.
redster73

thunderthighs wrote:

through those gadgest in the garbage..

ciao


Couldn't see the end of my nose this morning let alone the countless computers strapped to the bike - then me front light jumped off into the lake that was the bus lane past Streatham Park, then.......!
Juggernaut

Just splashed out on a polar cs400 bike computer, so I'll have all the gadgets in one! Yes, I've got more money than sense... I've quite enjoyed being able to compare power, cadence, gradient and heart-rate with the Fortius turbo-trainer, and I want to do the same on my real rides (minus the power, that would be a bit too much). I admire TT's spartan approach, but if gadgets keep me interested, then that can't be a bad thing...

My on-line tour has turned to custard. The wife's had an horrific cold for the last few days, and I started coming down with it yesterday. The guy behind me in 5th took 40 seconds out of my lead yesterday, so I only have a 47s gap with 2 stages left. I'm feeling pretty rough, and I'm going to be gutted if I lose 4th spot, as I've put a lot into this. Such is life on tour I suppose - I've no idea how the pros do it for 3 weeks...
CapeRoadie

behemoth wrote:
I just went to clipless pedals recently and am still getting used to them.

Toward the end of a ride this weekend, I was slowing, waiting for a car to pass in front of me, decided at the last moment that I would have to stop, went to put my foot down, and... of course, forgot to unclip, going down hard.

Sprained my wrist pretty good, but luckily nothing broken.  Talk about feeling like an idiot... Sad  Probably won't be able to ride again for another week at least.


Sorry to hear it.  But I have to disagree:  sprains (i.e., torn ligaments) are almost always worse than fractures (i.e. broken bones).  Bones usually heal as strong or stronger than they were before; sprains almost never do.  Hope yours was a mild sprain.  I've been dealing with my own wrist sprains for 30 years.
redster73

Skipped the ride yesterday due to adverse weather.

Today 30 miler over the Downs went swimmingly...literally!

...and if I could work the attach file part you'd be able to see what I meant!
Monty28

redster73 wrote:
Skipped the ride yesterday due to adverse weather.

Today 30 miler over the Downs went swimmingly...literally!

...and if I could work the attach file part you'd be able to see what I meant!


Funnily enough, I thought about you yesterday. My son is currently doing his second year of Biology at Sussex Uni, and although he shares a rental house with a few other students, he's yet to move back after their Christmas break. Being within a 35 minute drive, he's finding a daily commute from home OK until his schedule ramps up a bit. Too much information, sorry. Anyway yesterday I decided to be a caring parent and offered to drive him to Uni (he only had one lecture at 0900) as my car is a bit bigger and more stable in high winds than his Fiesta. Cutting a long story short, on the way home up the A23 the wind/rain were so bad, and when we passed a guy on a motorbike my son said "not the kind of day for being out on a motorbike, or any kind of bike for that matter". So I thought of your daily ride and wondered if you'd braved it! Sensible chap! Laughing  Laughing

Not sure what problems you are having with 'attach file', obviously I wasn't clear enough when I posted some instructions. If you'd like to send me a PM and explain the problem, I'll happily try to help.
redster73

Hardly ventured out at all yesterday.

Today started off warm and sunny here on the coast cooled a little over the Downs but still good pace keeping me warm. Forgot my HR monitor so had no chance of gauging HR as I topped 80 kph down Devils Dyke!

Then this....



One of many roads somewhat impassable. None of them that deep but feet got a drenching, started to go numb. Easy ride turned into a slog to get home before me toes fell off!
kellyrocheearly

training brought to a halt this week by some kind of fever i got on tuesday night, spent the night shivering and sweating, not fun. Hope to get back on the bike this weekend to pick up where i left off.
chasm

kellyrocheearly wrote:
training brought to a halt this week by some kind of fever i got on tuesday night, spent the night shivering and sweating, not fun. Hope to get back on the bike this weekend to pick up where i left off.


Be careful about picking up where you left off. Worth taking it slowly for a few days, in my experience. When it comes to returning to training after illness, haste is slow, as the saying goes.
kellyrocheearly

chasm wrote:
kellyrocheearly wrote:
training brought to a halt this week by some kind of fever i got on tuesday night, spent the night shivering and sweating, not fun. Hope to get back on the bike this weekend to pick up where i left off.


Be careful about picking up where you left off. Worth taking it slowly for a few days, in my experience. When it comes to returning to training after illness, haste is slow, as the saying goes.


dont worry i plan on doing a couple of short easy rides to start with and see how i feel from there
Bartali

Only doing short rides at the weekends - using the mtb on the roads.

Just done a good session on the tacx i-magic.  Alp d'Huez im 1:1:20.  Since my 'come back' its been 1:18, 1:12, 1:07 and now just over 1:01.  Next goal is under the hour.  Smile

Keep it up JustCycling team!
CapeRoadie

Bartali wrote:
Only doing short rides at the weekends - using the mtb on the roads.

Just done a good session on the tacx i-magic.  Alp d'Huez im 1:1:20.  Since my 'come back' its been 1:18, 1:12, 1:07 and now just over 1:01.  Next goal is under the hour.  Smile

Keep it up JustCycling team!


I think we have to ride together online soon, Bartali.  Need to get my new computer first, though.
Bartali

I'll look forward to it!  I think I'll need a bit more strength ... but hey that's why I'm in training!
headwind

youre amazing bartali
thunderthighs

bartali..look at seat forward and after position.. be sure that center knee bone is slightly ahead on center pedal axle..

center knee bone i mean, the sid eof you knee that you can feel thigh bone with lower bone.. use that not front of knee...

use this position when doing un uphill time trial .. marc madoit showed me this secret  , i know him well..adn it works he is a smart cookie..

tour of labitiby.. i met him.. i wa still a cadet..


ciao
Bartali

Thanks TT - I'll certainly try it!  If its good enough for Madiot its good enogh for me!
Bartali

headwind wrote:
youre amazing bartali


Hey - you are back HW.  How's things?
headwind

been lurking.  work has been (still is) the real deal these days. thanks for all the beta on the tacx turbo. its really keeping me to a schedule i can meet.  right now im riding 5 days a week.  2 days i do power intervals (ive been weak with time off) at ~180W --- 5 min on, 2 off in blocks of 4 keeping avg power at around 150 for 45 min.  then i do 2 days of cadence pyramids 90-100-110-120-110-100-90. 1 min at each with 30 sec between.  usually 2 sets per work out.  then 1 day of recovery.  2 days off.  not serious numbers i know, but its just about getting the work in now and ramping it up for the spring.  im thinking of going to tuscany in spring to interact with the giro...and ride with tafi!  its still early!

how you doing?  more pix of the parlee i hope are coming.

cheers, hw
redster73

Out yesterday with a pal around Richmond Park...jeez i've never seen so many bikes out and about. Give me the solitude of the South Downs any day. A lot of money on two wheels that's for sure...even saw a Parlee and Gordon Ramsey (rest easy Bartali he was jogging!)
Bartali

HW - Tuscany sounds good.  I was thinking of the pyrenees in early June, but not sure if I will be strong enough ... but it will give me something to aim for and get me in good shape for la marmotte!

I think I'll have to try some of those intervals in a few weeks when my leg is a bit steadier.  Right now I'm concentrating on steady riding.  Like TT says, recovery is where its at, but I'll have to wait a bit.

Red - you are doing tons of cycling.  You must be in awesome shape!  Think I agree with you re the S.Downs v Richmond!  Give me Ditchling Beacon any time!
Bartali

This was yesterday's bumpy little number.  700+ feet of elevation in 22 miles.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-kingdom/berkhamsted/472506738
redster73

Bartali wrote:
Red - you are doing tons of cycling.  You must be in awesome shape!  Think I agree with you re the S.Downs v Richmond!  Give me Ditchling Beacon any time!


Oh if only! Only 2 x rides a week plus the commute. Wednesday will be the first 50+ ride in 2008. Fit enough but now I hear I'm doing the Etape Caledonia as a warm up for the main event!

I'd post a link to our route but we sort of got lost and to be honest Kingston was f**king boring to ride through!
redster73

Wednesday's run.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/ride/united-kingdom/shoreham-by-sea/492678122

Hopefully a tailwind back along the coast!
CapeRoadie

In 50 miles, you could cover a lot of ground!  How far is it from London to Bath?
redster73

110 miles give or take...but I don't live in Bath!
Bartali

Is that the 'Beacon' at around 40km   Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Looks a good ride.  I might try to get down to the downs in a month or so.  keep doing the miles and the etape will be fine.  When the weather gets better (and you get stronger etc) try going up and over the beacon and back a couple of times ... that will give you 'climbing legs'.

Keep up the good work!
redster73

It is the Beacon nice litte lump at the end!

I believe I have climbing legs...it's the rest of me they have to carry thats the worry
Juggernaut

Hey Red - I'm doing Etape Caledonia too. Might see you there!

As for training, I managed to get out with the club on both Saturday and Sunday - 70km and 100km respectivly. The Sunday bunch didn't rip my legs off for a change, which was nice of them. Had a rest yesterday and then back on the trainer this afternoon.
Bartali

redster73 wrote:
It is the Beacon nice litte lump at the end!

I believe I have climbing legs...it's the rest of me they have to carry thats the worry


Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Slapshot

I went out on sunday too, very wendy, but dry!!!!

I havenīt done much so far this year, around 400 miles, but in couple of weeks time I am going to start riding to work 2-3 times a week, Iīve bought a very good set of lights!!!!

The Tour of Ireland is getting closer!!!
chasm

bergaretxebe wrote:

The Tour of Ireland is getting closer!!!


Isn't it, though. I'm in a race against time to be in anything like decent shape.
Bartali

Hauled my mtb around a 33mile loop today (1000ft elevation).  Very very slow, but happy to have put the hours and miles in all things considered.
CapeRoadie

I rode nearly 60 miles today, the last hour in a blizzard!
headwind

you are fookin WHACKY cape!
chasm

bergaretxebe wrote:
I havenīt done much so far this year, around 400 miles..


I just reread this, Berg. You haven't done much this year just 400 miles in three weeks! Not bad for january, in my opinion.
forza_petacchi

I keep waiting for it to snow here, I've only done...270 km so far this year.  I wish there was one day that it would just snow 3"-4" and be very cold so I could ride in the snow.  We keep getting cold rain instead.
CapeRoadie

headwind wrote:
you are fookin WHACKY cape!


Hey, dude, I had to get out before the real weather struck:

http://www.accuweather.com/radar-...nim=1&level=state&large=1

We're in the middle of 50 mph winds out of the Nor'east and a blizzard.  Strong storm being fed by a high pressure northeast of Canada.  The double-pump east wind flow, don't ya know.

Anyway, I had to get on my beautiful new Trek Madone 6.9 again.  It is wonderful.
Bartali

Well done Cape!  

Out of interest, about how long did those 60 miles take?  I'm v.v.slow at the mo, but just happy to be out there turning the pedals once a week.

Berg' not dome much this year eh!  I doubt I've managed 100 miles this year.  Still ... its early days on my fight to fitness.

Keep it up guys!  Happy riding
CapeRoadie

Bartali wrote:
Well done Cape!  

Out of interest, about how long did those 60 miles take?  I'm v.v.slow at the mo, but just happy to be out there turning the pedals once a week.

Berg' not dome much this year eh!  I doubt I've managed 100 miles this year.  Still ... its early days on my fight to fitness.

Keep it up guys!  Happy riding


I ride at 65% HRmax for these winter rides, and I can average only 15-17mph that way.  So it took me almost 4 hours.

I think the biggest problem beginning cyclists have is that they go too fast when they should be going slow (base period training) and go too slow when they should be going fast (build periods and interval training).  Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Madone 6.9.  Wow.

Bartali, what does your leg/knee feel like on the bike these days?
Bartali

Thanks for asking.

Knee is sore when starting off and mildly painful when exerting effort eg pushing a gear on a climb.  Gets better as I get into the ride.  Overall, the knee and left leg is weak, so I am being very careful not to favour the right (stronger) leg.  On top of all that I am overweight and generally under par as a result of sitting on my bum for the best part of 6 months.  That said, overall I am pretty pleased.  I'm averaging between 11 and 12 mph (which I know is crap) on a mtb with fat tyres.

I think the key is to be sensible.  Feb will be about longer rides and more hours on the road ... and hard even-paced long climbs on the i-magic.  I'll be happy if I can average somewhere in the 240 watts over a 10km climb (imagic) by the end of Feb).  March I will start on the Parlee and start mixing it up with spinning (for leg speed and cv, intervals and building in more and more climbs etc.

There is a long long way to go but ..... its still early.

I have my eye on a week in the pyrenees in early June which hopefully will fix me up for my assult on the Marmotte in July.
chasm

CapeRoadie wrote:

I ride at 65% HRmax for these winter rides, and I can average only 15-17mph that way.  So it took me almost 4 hours.

I think the biggest problem beginning cyclists have is that they go too fast when they should be going slow (base period training) and go too slow when they should be going fast (build periods and interval training).  Just thought I'd throw that out there.


I agree with this, in general. But it is less clear how it applies to the non-beginner, in managing the transition between one season and another.

The experienced cyclist who maintains a decent level of actvity through the winter isn't going to lose a huge amount of aerobic fitness, so I'm not convinced that extended periods of high mileage at slow pace is especially beneficial. My personal strategy is to mix it up a bit - mainly ride at cruising speed (60%-70% of max) but with short periods either sprinting or climbing with my HR getting into the high 80%s or low 90%s. So on Saturday, for example, I did a couple of hours over a moderately hilly route at an average speed of 18.5mph/29kph with an average HR of 133 (zone 3.2) but peaking at 167.

I find - or more accurately, I feel - that these fairly short, slightly more challenging sessions bring me on faster than the traditional long slow rides. I'd be interested in your view about that.

       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Around the World Page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum