Archive for justcycling.myfastforum.org Just Cycling
 


       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> The 3 GT´s
Biosphere

Stage 14 TdF: Sun, Jul 15th: Limoux - Foix 191km

An Appetiser

Jean-François Pescheux wrote:
We have reached the Pyrenees! But this is more of an appetiser than a mountain stage proper. Things will get going at kilometre 116 with the ascent to the Port de Lers, with 11.4 km at 7%. Then comes the Mur de Péguère, which is making its Tour debut and could deal some serious damage too: some sections are close to an 18% gradient, with 10.8% at the finish! Nevertheless, the distance to Foix will make great climbers hesitate. In my opinion, this is more of a stage for all-rounders such Voeckler and Chavanel. Or maybe a 50 man strong group with the freshest riders in it...








http://www.steephill.tv/2012/tour-de-france/previews-results/stage-14/
gerry12ie

Froome stoking the flames of '86?

Quote:
“I know I would be able to win this Tour, [but] not at Sky. We have defined a strategy around Wiggins and everyone respects that,” he told L’Equipe. “I can not lie to you, it's difficult, really, but it's my job.”


Quote:
“If there are [many] climbs, I hope that Sky will be honest and all the team-mates will put themselves at my service, with the same loyalty I showed today,” he said.


Quote:
However he’s not completely ruling out winning this year’s race. He said that if it is clear that Wiggins is faltering in the Pyrenees, that he will play his card to ensure the team keeps yellow.

“If I feel that we can lose the Tour, I will follow the best, either Evans or Nibali, to preserve our chances,” he said. It is unclear if this is an agreed team strategy, or if Sky will want him to continue to pace Wiggins if he is faltering.


Might be best off keeping schtum going in to the last week... Rolling Eyes

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID...-2013-if-theres-a-hilly-Tour.aspx
HuwB

Well, I suppose it depends upon what you feel about loyalty, playing for the team etc.
He is in this position because of the collective efforts of his team mates.

If he does what he says he might do, without real cause, things will get messy-fast.

He signed up and is well paid to do a job, so he should do it.
Next year is next year.
Fontfroide

HuwB wrote:
Well, I suppose it depends upon what you feel about loyalty, playing for the team etc.
He is in this position because of the collective efforts of his team mates.

If he does what he says he might do, without real cause, things will get messy-fast.

He signed up and is well paid to do a job, so he should do it.
Next year is next year.


+1

As far as I can see he is saying a bit more than he should already.  Not like he didn't know what was happening in the team, and that it was a disciplined team.  I heard no talk about how the the course would decide or two leaders or anything like that.  For goodness sake they dumped all over the World champion and he has not fussed.
gerry12ie

In fairness I think Cav has showed far more maturity so far this Tour than Froome and Wiggins put together.
kathy

looks like the break will make it today!
Bartali

The Peguere will slow them up a lot ... its super steep at the top!  But not 14 mins ...
Fontfroide

I thought Sagan was there to help Vicenzo make a move.  
He has no real reason to keep riding with the group that I can see.

Has anyone picked a rider in the escape or is it a big zero?
HuwB

Bio has Casar.
Gerry has Luis Leon.

I fell asleep watching them ascend the first climb. Embarassed
Fontfroide

Don't despair Huw, the Mur is coming, something might happen there.  Still lovely area, wouldn't you like to ride here?  Or even walk or ride?  I find this are really inviting.
kathy

Luis Leon looking quite perky!

It  is a beautiful area.
gerry12ie

Bloody Hell Sagan is a phenom!
kathy

Evans and nibs collaborating?
Fontfroide

gerry12ie wrote:
Bloody Hell Sagan is a phenom!


+1  Astounding.  Imagine if he lost five kilos.  Carefully, like Brad and Cav.
maffy

Fontfroide wrote:
Has anyone picked a rider in the escape or is it a big zero?


gerry12ie wrote:
Bloody Hell Sagan is a phenom!


+2, like we didn't know already Smile

i was going to write something like "ah, tempted by sagan, because boogie didn't and mauna capester might erupt but st14 - valls ferri's rouleurs day out" but stayed in bed ridiculously late instead.

yes, lovely scenery. ooh, smashing cadel drama.

---
got 33-1 on him last night, mind
Bartali

Remind me why Sky slowed the peloton?
cyclingtv

tacks on the road??
kathy

Sky a lot more efficient with the bike change than BMC!
Bartali

cyclingtv wrote:
tacks on the road??


I was dozing off.  Fair enough if that's true, but it seems odd to slow down for a man off the podium in a racing scenario ...

Its not like they were rolling along in the middle of a flat stage ...
kathy

massive number of punctures on this descent!
Fontfroide

Mind you, they lose nothing by slowing down or pretending to, or discussing it.  the stage is won, everyone is in the group.  Why not?

Rolland attacks, thinking he is clever, not being told anything (my earpiece didn't work), and not a word about his bad manners from the French commentators.  Rolland is a jerk.
Bartali

Because it is a perfect place to launch an attack on the descent?
gerry12ie

Yes it was tacks apparently
Bartali

Apparently CTV was spot on ... tacks!
cyclingtv

evans 14 kms behind.. don't think he's with wiggins group..
HuwB

Evans should just about get back.
Rolland will be a popular boy.
Severo

Would have liked to have seen a bit more on the catch of Rolland...
kathy

I assume Zubeldia asked Wiggo if he could chase rolland
kathy

Luile gets it!
gerry12ie

Well deserved win for Sanchez but no action at all on the last climb from the favorites - as expected Rolling Eyes
Fontfroide

Kinda nice to see the peloton waiting for Cadel, even if he is fourth.  A bit of respect and solidarity and so forth.  My heart beats a bit thinking about it..
cyclingtv

tacktics.. payback for yesterday by a spanish fanatack..
Severo

CN suggests Rolland was told to sit up.
Fontfroide

Severo wrote:
CN suggests Rolland was told to sit up.


CN very wise.  How did they ever guess?
HuwB

Severo wrote:
CN suggests Rolland was told to sit up.


Seems to be the case, after the tacks got reported.
Bartali

Fontfroide wrote:
Kinda nice to see the peloton waiting for Cadel, even if he is fourth.  A bit of respect and solidarity and so forth.  My heart beats a bit thinking about it..
Agreed ... but only because it was tacks.  IMO, tradition dictates that GC men should not attack other GC men who have problems ... but even then slowing up is a bit much.  I think today was different if tacks were involved.
Fontfroide

30 punctures apparently says the boss of Tour.  Carpet tacks.
Nolte

well rolland can kiss his chances of being in a break on wednesday and thursday away. the prick.

good win for luis leon sanchez.
maffy

Fontfroide wrote:
Severo wrote:
CN suggests Rolland was told to sit up.


CN very wise.  How did they ever guess?


can't imagine. maybe they spotted it from the blimp. fine win for lulu. not as gesticulatorily angry in his interactions with the m.verde as m.jaune, i noticed.
Fontfroide

Interview with Gautier, who also heard nothing on his earpiece abut Pierre being a jerk, no one called him back for some time.  But Gautier DID hear enough to slow down and wait for Pierre.  Which bad mannered Europcar was on the microphone.

source, Gautier
HuwB

Obviously Rolland thought he heard "attack" from his team car, when they said, "a tack". Razz
Bartali

Get your coat Huw!  Very Happy
gerry12ie

HuwB wrote:
Obviously Rolland thought he heard "attack" from his team car, when they said, "a tack". Razz


Very Happy  Very Happy
Fontfroide

HuwB wrote:
Obviously Rolland thought he heard "attack" from his team car, when they said, "a tack". Razz


Very good.  A carpet tack is punaise in French.  Attack is attaquez.
Good to have guys like me around after a joke, eh?   Wink
SAP

Hincapie was being interviewed and asked the question about 'the tacks' and answered a different question about 'attacks'.  It was kinda funny, in a doh sort of way, until the interviewer had to cut him off and repeat the 'tacks' question.
kathy

Fontfroide wrote:
HuwB wrote:
Obviously Rolland thought he heard "attack" from his team car, when they said, "a tack". Razz


Very good.  A carpet tack is punaise in French.  Attack is attaquez.
Good to have guys like me around after a joke, eh?   Wink


So perhaps he thought he heard something like  'tu seras puni' if he didn't attack Laughing

Sorry, this is getting silly!
Fontfroide

If you say "Oh punaise" in French it is kind of like saying "Oh sugar" in English.  Over to you Kathy.
Geraint

Froom acting like a bitch already  

thumleft  cheers
Fontfroide

Evidence Geraint?  

I have just read a long interview with him in l'Equipe.  He seemed to say nothing of deep interest, certainly nothing bitchy.  One of his great quotes was the brand new exciting fact that he is unlikely to win theTour with Sky (with Bradley).  You figure that is true?  I do.

What have you heard?  Where did you hear it?
Biosphere

Kiserlovski a victim of the tacks. DNF.

What type of a bastard does that on a descent  Mad
Fontfroide

Virenque seems to have taken a dislike to Bradley for wondering how a rider who cheated and lied can be liked by French people.  I have always wondered that myself.  In the context of Bradley claiming he is from a culture that does not dope, where it is morally wrong to do so, unlike the French or other cycling cultures.  

By the way, Virenque is totally wrong about Bradley's French.  He does all his interviews on French TV in very high quality French.  Virenque, who I dislike intensely and always have, is full of cow poo.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID...-attacked-by-Bradley-Wiggins.aspx
MAILLOT JAUNE

+1 FF
kathy

Fontfroide wrote:
If you say "Oh punaise" in French it is kind of like saying "Oh sugar" in English.  Over to you Kathy.


I was vaguely aware of the expression, but thought it was a bit ruder than that.  I didn't know it meant carpet tack though - our house in France had nice wooden floors - no carpet Laughing   'Tachuela' in Spanish.

I feel sorry for Kiserlovski - some idiot should be charged with attempted manslaugter or something for throwing those tacks about
MAILLOT JAUNE

Does anyone remember a "tack" incident like this in recent Tour history. I've read about sabotage way back in the early days of the Tour, but can't remember anything recently.

They also showed a tack in the tyre of one of the Kawasaki bikes.

Do you think this could be someone with a gripe against Quickstep laminate floors???? Wink
HuwB

MAILLOT JAUNE wrote:
Does anyone remember a "tack" incident like this in recent Tour history. I've read about sabotage way back in the early days of the Tour, but can't remember anything recently.

They also showed a tack in the tyre of one of the Kawasaki bikes.

Do you think this could be someone with a gripe against Quickstep laminate floors???? Wink


1996 and Riis's Tour was mentioned, bt tv, but I can't recall.
Before that, it was in vogue, circa 1905-1910.
kathy

HuwB wrote:

Before that, it was in vogue, circa 1905-1910.


But they didn't do mountains then, so presumably no descents like today's.
kathy

Rolland explains his attack

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID...and-internal-rules-of-the-peloton
KarenP

kathy wrote:
Rolland explains his attack

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID...and-internal-rules-of-the-peloton


kathy, you're link's not working. … off to look. found it:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID...nternal-rules-of-the-peloton.aspx
TNG

Try this:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID...nternal-rules-of-the-peloton.aspx
KarenP

kathy wrote:
Rolland explains his attack

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID...and-internal-rules-of-the-peloton


So Rolland claims that the car following the peloton was too far back for communication.  Team Director's car was following Gautier.  Could the team director also communicate with Rolland?
kathy

KarenP wrote:
kathy wrote:
Rolland explains his attack

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID...and-internal-rules-of-the-peloton


kathy, you're link's not working. … off to look. found it:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID...nternal-rules-of-the-peloton.aspx


Oops, sorry, think the end of the link must have gone missing on mine!
Fontfroide

Well, somebody can communicate with Gauthier since they told him to hang back to help Pierre.  I am always wondering about "I took my oreillette out", "the radio didn't work" like of lines.  I am perfectly aware they could be true, but they are getting to sound like the dog ate my homework.

I guess, the radio and the management messed up.  Not Pierre though.  I wonder how they communicate with anyone.  I presume the TV was working OK.  It all sounds fishy to me.
KarenP

Cadel is blaming the tacks and the decisive puncture in the Vuelta a couple of years ago on Spaniard sabateurs:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/v...c-in-tour-de-france-stage-to-foix

That's the first time I've ever heard that that puncture in the Vuelta was due to sabatage.
KarenP

Fontfroide wrote:
 It all sounds fishy to me.


I guess we'll see if the peloton buys it by the number of Europecar riders allowed in the breaks in the rest of the Tour.
Biosphere

KarenP wrote:
Cadel is blaming the tacks and the decisive puncture in the Vuelta a couple of years ago on Spaniard sabateurs:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/v...c-in-tour-de-france-stage-to-foix

That's the first time I've ever heard that that puncture in the Vuelta was due to sabatage.


I was just about to post that. It's a new claim to me too. The video says that Leipheimer and Brakjovic crashed too because of the tacks.
MS

Kiserlovski out with a collarbone as a result of this. Someone knows who did this. Let's hope they turn these people in.
Nolte

Fontfroide wrote:
Well, somebody can communicate with Gauthier since they told him to hang back to help Pierre.  I am always wondering about "I took my oreillette out", "the radio didn't work" like of lines.  I am perfectly aware they could be true, but they are getting to sound like the dog ate my homework.

I guess, the radio and the management messed up.  Not Pierre though.  I wonder how they communicate with anyone.  I presume the TV was working OK.  It all sounds fishy to me.


i will call rubbish on rolland's claims.
cyclingtv

Quote:
Leipheimer to blame, not tacks

Robert Kiserlovski (Astana) had to abandon stage 14 with less than 40km to go after he suffered a fall on the decent coming off the Mur de Péguére. The Croatian who won the most combative award on stage 12 had been a key domestique for his team’s general classification rider, Janez Brajkovič and polka-dot jersey wearer Fredrik Kessiakoff before leaving the race with one week to go.

"Robert was important both for our team classification and in helping Kessiakoff in his goal to win the King of the Mountains competition," said team manager Giuseppe Martinelli.

"Today was particularly unlucky for us. Kiserlovski's fall was the last thing we needed. It is now going to be even harder for Brajkovič without one of his key domestiques," said the Astana team manager.

Kiserlovski reportedly punctured and lost control on the winding descent before crashing and braking his collarbone. Details emerged after the stage however, that explained the actual circumstances leading to his fall and subsequent abandonment.

"Brajkovič had a flat tyre just after the last KOM, Kiserlovski moved from left to right to give him his wheel and I couldn't avoid the collision. I hit him and I crashed. I feel bad for him, but it was an accident," said Levi Leipheimer (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) on his team site.

Leipheimer was luckier than his collision partner, suffering a couple of deep abrasions and bruising to his right hip, knee and elbow. However, the American will be at the start of stage 15, while Kiserlovski heads home. (AM)

       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> The 3 GT´s
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum