Archive for justcycling.myfastforum.org Just Cycling
 


       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Cycling Forum
mr shifter

La Flèche Wallonne, Wednesday, 22nd April

`
Profile



HuwB wrote:

A new finish tomorrow, with an extra "ramp" stuck in just 5.5 kms from the finish.
Will it change the result? I doubt it, but it could.
Think their jealous of the Flanders Pave because they turn left onto a short section of this (so called) Cote de Cherave, that brings back memories.
Back in the days (like Armstrong winning this) and they climbed the Cote de Ahin we could watch them come by and then freewheel down this Cherave and across the main road to get another sighting on the Huy climb.
Once I followed a smaller crowd of bikies onto a steep uphill path through some woods to emerge the other side of the finish but with a bike it was impossible to get through. Did see the riders come through after they had finished though.
Biosphere

From Inner Ring

Quote:
Criquielion: as the race crosses part of Belgium’s French-speaking Walloon region it’s worth remembering Claude Criquielion who died in February. “Crique” was one of Wallonia’s best ever riders. Twice winner of this race he also took the 1987 Tour of Flanders and the 1984 World Championships. Triumphant yet tragic he was also famous for losing races, for example the 1987 Liège-Bastogne-Liège when he and Stephen Roche were riding to the finish and toyed around for so long that Moreno Argentin flew past to poach the race from them. A similar story for the 1988 World Championships where, again on home soil, he lost out, this time after tangling with Canada’s Steve Bauer in the sprint.


FPs here

http://justcycling.myfastforum.org/sutra225125.php#225125
HuwB

I had to post details of all the live coverage here, because anybody fortunate enough to live in Wales can watch the race for free.
S4C, not only covering the last hour of LBL live, but are live today from 1-30pm. Smile

http://www.steephill.tv/classics/fleche-wallonne/#live
Mrs John Murphy

You should be able to watch S4C in the rest of the UK via your digital box. I know I have S4C and I am not in Wales.
gerry12ie

This race a few years ago was some of the best fun I have had with my clothes on.  Lovely spring weather (25C+), a park at the finish line with good food and beer tents, giant Luxembourger picnics (the Schlecks were all the rage), a number of passes from both the men's and women's races and a giant screen if you couldn't see.  

And when it was all over a ramble down the Mur to the bars for the real fun to begin (or continue...)

FW and LBL is a great double header but I am tempted by DDV/E3/GW next year.  A mate went and fell in with a bunch of local neer-do-wells that get tanked up and cycle the Kemmelberg on kids bikes...




I doubt Oleg would approve...
HuwB

Mrs John Murphy wrote:
You should be able to watch S4C in the rest of the UK via your digital box. I know I have S4C and I am not in Wales.


Hopefully their will be an English language option, too.
mazda

Dan Martin down.
Katusha trying to thin out their rivals by alternative means.
HuwB

mazda wrote:
Dan Martin down.
Katusha trying to thin out their rivals by alternative means.


Who says the hilly classics are predictable? Laughing
HuwB

Dan Martin not looking good on the climb.
HuwB

Gilbert and Jungels taken down. Phil abandons.
A Tinkoff rider just rode across them. Lost his gear or something. Nothing to do with parked cars or trailers.
gerry12ie

Huw, are you translating the commentary from Welsh for those of us in work? Wink  

Thanks Very Happy
gerry12ie

Tim Wellens gives a bit of value for money doesn't he?
gerry12ie

HuwB wrote:
mazda wrote:
Dan Martin down.
Katusha trying to thin out their rivals by alternative means.


Who says the hilly classics are predictable? Laughing


Very Happy  Very Happy
HuwB

gerry12ie wrote:
Huw, are you translating the commentary from Welsh for those of us in work? Wink  

Thanks Very Happy


Hope you enjoyed it. Wink
Quite the crash fest that.
In fact, the crashes were the only points of interest.
The new, penultimate climb, added spice, but in the end, helped to serve up a bland, non battle up the Muur.

A bit annoyed I didn't fp Albasini.
I was going to, right up until I typed Simon Yates.
Fontfroide

Good to see Tim Wellens ripening nicely.  Clearly a man of the future, maybe the very near future.

Not a great race, but since my guy won, I must be happy with that.  It is kind of boring when a group of twenty or so arrive at the last climb pretty much in a bunch and then they just see who is the strongest at the end.  Still ...  one more to go.
HuwB

Fontfroide wrote:
Good to see Tim Wellens ripening nicely.  Clearly a man of the future, maybe the very near future.

Not a great race, but since my guy won, I must be happy with that.  It is kind of boring when a group of twenty or so arrive at the last climb pretty much in a bunch and then they just see who is the strongest at the end.  Still ...  one more to go.


Odds on, red hot favourites do tend to win the year's most predictable races. Wink
Nolte

HuwB wrote:
I had to post details of all the live coverage here, because anybody fortunate enough to live in Wales can watch the race for free.
S4C, not only covering the last hour of LBL live, but are live today from 1-30pm. Smile


might be a bit more understandable than carlton kirby

       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Cycling Forum
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum