Archive for justcycling.myfastforum.org Just Cycling
 


       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> The Coffee Lounge
Nolte

irish election quiz

we have an election next friday here

i'd be interested about how you all would compare here

this is the link http://www.votomatic.ie

my result

Green Party 10
Fianna Fail 8
Labour 2
Fine Gael -1
Sinn Finn - 15
gerry12ie

Pleased with that, it seems I am staunch Labour... you are the old guard Nolte!!
Nolte

gerry12ie wrote:
Pleased with that, it seems I am staunch Labour... you are the old guard Nolte!!


lol

well at least my grandfathers didn't fight for FF in the civil war (having been born in 1922 and 1924, they'd have been too young to enlist Very Happy
ventoux

gerry12ie wrote:
Pleased with that, it seems I am staunch Labour... you are the old guard Nolte!!


I come out as strongly Labour too.... but the candidate here is a complete buffoon.... embarrassed the party in the recent by-election, and yet still got selected for this one... impossible to vote for him, so what on earth will I do...  Embarassed  Shocked  Confused
mazda

I seemd to get lots of points for some parties on some sections and then lose them all on the next section.
Biggest aggregate total was +5, for the party listed first on the left (don't recognise the logos).

Going back to look at how everyone voted, the question/answer with the highest concensus was to legalise abortion in certain cases.
However the parties don't seem to agree with that ...
mr shifter

ventoux wrote:
gerry12ie wrote:
Pleased with that, it seems I am staunch Labour... you are the old guard Nolte!!


I come out as strongly Labour too.... but the candidate here is a complete buffoon.... embarrassed the party in the recent by-election, and yet still got selected for this one... impossible to vote for him, so what on earth will I do...  Embarassed  Shocked  Confused
So why not "think" about a suitable candidate and if there are none for you then don't agree with any and don't vote.

The reason for my post is the chuckle over the word Labour (which is topical at the moment) because in the UK, Mrs Brown has come out with, her darling husband "is not like the media make him out to be"
She is writing (written) memoirs about her time in No 10 as the Prime Ministers wife.

What she fails to appreciate is the time we have been saddled with him while he buggered up the Nations economy.
The media had him correct as another Baffoon.   Rolling Eyes

Sorry to interfere in your thread.
ventoux

mr shifter wrote:
ventoux wrote:
gerry12ie wrote:
Pleased with that, it seems I am staunch Labour... you are the old guard Nolte!!


I come out as strongly Labour too.... but the candidate here is a complete buffoon.... embarrassed the party in the recent by-election, and yet still got selected for this one... impossible to vote for him, so what on earth will I do...  Embarassed  Shocked  Confused
So why not "think" about a suitable candidate and if there are none for you then don't agree with any and don't vote.

The reason for my post is the chuckle over the word Labour (which is topical at the moment) because in the UK, Mrs Brown has come out with, her darling husband "is not like the media make him out to be"
She is writing (written) memoirs about her time in No 10 as the Prime Ministers wife.

What she fails to appreciate is the time we have been saddled with him while he buggered up the Nations economy.
The media had him correct as another Baffoon.   Rolling Eyes

Sorry to interfere in your thread.


Ah, you're welcome... interfere away! Shocked

of course I will actually think about how to place all my votes on Friday....  just sorry that I can't even include my "natural" party of choice in my list, as the candidate is a complete and utter pillock (I think that's the technical term for it...  Wink  ) We have an array of hopefuls to choose from, but none really inspire... I told  Fine Gael canvassers that I was really undecided, and wanted someone to give me a positive reason for giving them my vote - their reply, verbatim, "well, we couldn't do any worse than this lot" - not exactly what I'd call a positive reason! And that, I'm afraid, is what's characterising this election...  no-one is inspiring... everyone is against something, but no-one seems to be for anything (apart from the motherhood & apple pie statements...) I despair...  Sad
Guiness

Came out labour too. Interesting break down, mind you.

ventoux wrote:
I told  Fine Gael canvassers that I was really undecided, and wanted someone to give me a positive reason for giving them my vote - their reply, verbatim, "well, we couldn't do any worse than this lot"


Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

ventoux wrote:
- not exactly what I'd call a positive reason! And that, I'm afraid, is what's characterising this election...  no-one is inspiring... everyone is against something, but no-one seems to be for anything (apart from the motherhood & apple pie statements...) I despair...  


Yup, no-one is going to stick their necks out are they?
maffy

ok, done it twice now, and it still looks basically the same.



interested in how much other left-wing irish people discounted sin-feyn.

or are they just being ignored? me, no particular opinion on a united ireland, but am strongly pro-europe. had to look up some of that stuff. you really could do with some sort of rail link to dublin airport, but deregulating your buses wouldn't be that smart if our uk experience is anything to go by.
Nolte

maffy wrote:
deregulating your buses wouldn't be that smart if our uk experience is anything to go by.


i'm very biased in this regard. the Bus Eireann has let me down in the past andare really bad at timetabling while a private bus company offers a better and cheaper Dublin service (bus eireann one way is €13.50. the private operator return is €14). of course bus eireann  serves purposes at times i.e. the bus eireann goes to the airport but the private operator doesn't.

i think what the question is that private operators get licenses to run on profitable routes while bus eireann maintains the service on the unprofitable routes

mazda wrote:
I seemd to get lots of points for some parties on some sections and then lose them all on the next section.
Biggest aggregate total was +5, for the party listed first on the left (don't recognise the logos).

Going back to look at how everyone voted, the question/answer with the highest concensus was to legalise abortion in certain cases.
However the parties don't seem to agree with that ...


that'd be FF who i got +8 for. they are currently in government as they have been for most of the years since the 1930's. to put in context of my life, they've been in government for 21.5 of my 26.5 years.
Nolte

ventoux wrote:
We have an array of hopefuls to choose from, but none really inspire... I told  Fine Gael canvassers that I was really undecided, and wanted someone to give me a positive reason for giving them my vote - their reply, verbatim, "well, we couldn't do any worse than this lot" - not exactly what I'd call a positive reason! And that, I'm afraid, is what's characterising this election...  no-one is inspiring... everyone is against something, but no-one seems to be for anything (apart from the motherhood & apple pie statements...) I despair...  Sad


while for criticism of the economic situation, the standard fianna fail reply/mantra "global economic downturn".
maffy

Nolte wrote:
i'm very biased in this regard. the Bus Eireann has let me down in the past andare really bad at timetabling while a private bus company offers a better and cheaper Dublin service (bus eireann one way is €13.50. the private operator return is €14). of course bus eireann  serves purposes at times i.e. the bus eireann goes to the airport but the private operator doesn't.

i think what the question is that private operators get licenses to run on profitable routeswhile bus eireann maintains the service on the unprofitable routes


blimey. that's not exactly cheap. how far/long is that?

£3.70 return into town on the circuitous bus route here. takes ages, which means you can do the thirty-miles-or-so-round-trip onna bike in the same time for fun/cheapskatedness.

the same journey takes about 25 minutes each way in a car/van (traffic permitting) plus fuel and parking and you-used-a-car-when-you-did-not-need-to-and-you-will-be-accounted-for-in-the-afterlife charges.

big society/general cuts to everything will no doubt osborne a swift end to this state subsidised state of affairs.

back in the regulated day, there were more and later buses operating on the route.
now, it's five a day each way. last chance to leave town at 5.30pm, unless it's friday or saturday piss-up-night.

(never used the fri or sat piss-up-night buses. which is sensible because middle-britain may well demand that they are regulated against)

living outside of tyne-and-wear (as it used to be re-named) means that any new smartcard/fare initiatives do not count for me on the dbregio operated little-yellow-trains (M - it's got it's own font and everything). multi-bus-operators mean that it's difficult to buy a sensible integrated travel ticket.
kathy

Oh dear, I'm compatible with Sinn Fein - and close to the Labour party Laughing
paperman

kathy wrote:
Oh dear, I'm compatible with Sinn Fein - and close to the Labour party Laughing



+1

Thats what my results showed. Not that it really matters. While I will definately be stopping off to vote on my way home from work friday morning I think its a done deal.....Unbelievable as it will be Enda Kenny will almost certainly be our next leader...as if the country wasn't enough of a laughing stock.
Nolte

maffy wrote:
Nolte wrote:
i'm very biased in this regard. the Bus Eireann has let me down in the past andare really bad at timetabling while a private bus company offers a better and cheaper Dublin service (bus eireann one way is €13.50. the private operator return is €14). of course bus eireann  serves purposes at times i.e. the bus eireann goes to the airport but the private operator doesn't.

i think what the question is that private operators get licenses to run on profitable routeswhile bus eireann maintains the service on the unprofitable routes


blimey. that's not exactly cheap. how far/long is that?

£3.70 return into town on the circuitous bus route here. takes ages, which means you can do the thirty-miles-or-so-round-trip onna bike in the same time for fun/cheapskatedness.

the same journey takes about 25 minutes each way in a car/van (traffic permitting) plus fuel and parking and you-used-a-car-when-you-did-not-need-to-and-you-will-be-accounted-for-in-the-afterlife charges.


it would be approximately 35 miles/ 1 hour trip. I think a bus eireann  return is €22.

another problem with bus eireann from my town is that for some ******* reason, it goes down gardiner street to get to the bus station in dublin which has no bus lane and 3 traffic light points. it could cut out gardiner street and take 2 streets with prioritised bus lanes (one of which is for only buses and taxis)
kathy

The bus from my local town into the city takes just over an hour and costs 4.50€ each way.  It's about 50/60km.  Takes about 35/40min by car, but people don't like taking cars because of parking problems.  The bus runs every hour on weekdays, every 2 hours at weekends.
Biosphere

Well I'm hopelessly torn between Labour and Sinn Fein. A few questions I didn't answer as I didn't have the time to look up the details and quite a few questions I answered based on extrapolating my experience from England, e.g. I was favourable to special needs assistants in schools, but not completely as schools seem to have a propensity for identifying kids as special needs to get more cash in grants. Or so I'm told by a left wing teacher who's seen her Head milk the system.



I'm surprised that I supposedly have strong leanings for Sinn Fein as I don't think I do, but then I don't really follow their policies. Following on from the comment regarding the Irish forum members discounting SF, am I more disposed towards them because I'm more removed? I would have also said I was less inclined towards FF than FG. It gives me a bit of food for thought given that I actually do have a ballot card sitting back in Ireland. I would also have said I'm greener than I scored.

Since transport has had a bit of discussion my total monthly public transport cost is currently €43 and that allows me unlimited travel on all train, buses, boats and funiculars in the catchment area. There are even on demand buses for those that live in the more "isolated" areas (you make a phone call and a bus comes to get you). To cross the catchment area (in a straight line) by train takes about an hour so it's a decent sized area. Privatisation is not good IMO.

Reading up on the latest polls yesterday, I was shocked to see that FF had slipped to 14% in the polls. That's such a change from when I was growing up Shocked And related to that, why are the left wing parties being displayed on the right hand side of the graph, or have there been even more seismic shifts in the political landscape that I'm unaware of
Wink
Nolte

Biosphere wrote:
Well I'm hopelessly torn between Labour and Sinn Fein. A few questions I didn't answer as I didn't have the time to look up the details and quite a few questions I answered based on extrapolating my experience from England, e.g. I was favourable to special needs assistants in schools, but not completely as schools seem to have a propensity for identifying kids as special needs to get more cash in grants. Or so I'm told by a left wing teacher who's seen her Head milk the system.


a teacher had me when i was at school do a reading assessment (one of i think 4 children in the class to do so). I showed her by being immaculate despite my speech impediment in the assessment and thus not being taken out of class every tuesday unlike the other 3 bad readers.


Quote:
Reading up on the latest polls yesterday, I was shocked to see that FF had slipped to 14% in the polls. That's such a change from when I was growing up Shocked


it's interesting, the order of the 3 parties with the most seats in election has been fianna fail, fine gael and labour respectively (not even change in the order of the partiessince the start of world war II apart from 1987 (when the now defunct PD's were 3rd) and 1944 (when clann na talman were 3rd)
Quote:
And related to that, why are the left wing parties being displayed on the right hand side of the graph, or have there been even more seismic shifts in the political landscape that I'm unaware of
Wink


that's a very good point i didn't notice Very Happy
i think maybe seats in the current dail was the decider.
gerry12ie

I think we are badly in need of electoral reform.  The Proportional Representation system, for me, lends itself to cronyism and can give parish-pump politics dangerously powerful leverage at national level.  I grew up in London and I think the first past the post system is a more honest system.  Of course I bought into the system this morning by casting eight votes down the card just to keep FF out!  I think the biggest flaw in the system allows for a candidate that pulls a huge first preference vote to bring in a running mate that is generally clueless at the expense of an opposition candidate that doesn't poll enough transfers.
Mrs John Murphy

Gerry - is it not open list?
gerry12ie

I think open list is where you can select candidates from within a given party selection?  As far as I know, the Irish system is 'single transferable vote'  where you can vote for as many or as few candidates from an open card.  When a candidate reaches the quota their surplus is transferred to goon 2 and so on.

It's the system McQuaid will no doubt introduce to his fiefdom, ensuring that his brothers, sons and nephews are swept to power by the grateful votes of the Malaysian and Omani federations.
Mrs John Murphy

Open list - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_list IMO the best system in terms of ensuring political representation without the cronyism of closed lists.

Fruits and Votes has some stuff on STV http://fruitsandvotes.com/

As a footnote to Bio's question about SF

http://www.politicalcompass.org/ireland2011

As a note - I think the y axis measures the wrong thing from a European perspective. It is better to think about it in terms of social-cultural values (liberal vs conservative) rather than libertarian/authoritarian. x axis is always to do with the market though in that model.

I just took the pol compass test and managed to score - Economic Left/Right: -9.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92


gerry12ie

Are you in King Mob?

I got -7.38 and -7.05.

[img]http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=-7.38&soc=-6.05[/img]
Mrs John Murphy

To get the graph to show I had to save as, and then upload it as an attachment.
gerry12ie

Nolte

gerry12ie wrote:
I think we are badly in need of electoral reform.  The Proportional Representation system, for me, lends itself to cronyism and can give parish-pump politics dangerously powerful leverage at national level.  I grew up in London and I think the first past the post system is a more honest system.  Of course I bought into the system this morning by casting eight votes down the card just to keep FF out!  I think the biggest flaw in the system allows for a candidate that pulls a huge first preference vote to bring in a running mate that is generally clueless at the expense of an opposition candidate that doesn't poll enough transfers.


part of the parochialism problem is that you have candidates from the same party competing against each other in the election. in my area, FF had 2, FG had 2 and Labour had 2

a former labour leader (who's know dead) said of the clinics that he hosted "1/3 of the people want something illegal, one third want something impossible and the final third are lonely"

he might have used a word before each of the 3 categories
Biosphere

Mrs John Murphy wrote:

As a footnote to Bio's question about SF

http://www.politicalcompass.org/ireland2011


Fine Gael's position surprises me. It's fair enough now that the other test rated them as my poorest match.

As for my compass. I would have expected myself to score about -5, -5. Surprised that I come out as "extreme" as I do on the basis of strongly disagreeing that letting multinationals do as they please is in society's best interest, and strongly agreeing that people's sex lives are their own business.


Click to see full size image
Bartali

I was about -3.5, -3.5 Bartali ... ever the voice of compromise.... Wink
Slapshot 3

Quote:
People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce.


Fook me...didn't some psycho try that nonsense 75 years or so ago..... Rolling Eyes


Biosphere

Bartali wrote:
I was about -3.5, -3.5 Bartali ... ever the voice of compromise.... Wink


It's a pretty shrewd test. It sussed you as favouring a shade of pink, rather than full on red Wink
Bartali

Biosphere wrote:
Bartali wrote:
I was about -3.5, -3.5 Bartali ... ever the voice of compromise.... Wink


It's a pretty shrewd test. It sussed you as favouring a shade of pink, rather than full on red Wink
Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Slapshot 3

Bartali wrote:
Biosphere wrote:
Bartali wrote:
I was about -3.5, -3.5 Bartali ... ever the voice of compromise.... Wink


It's a pretty shrewd test. It sussed you as favouring a shade of pink, rather than full on red Wink
Laughing  Laughing  Laughing


So let me get this right, biosphere is suggesting Bart's a bit of a pinko.....that could have SO MANY contexts and meaning.....  Wink  Wink
gerry12ie


Link
paperman

Not a bad test............. interesting


Guiness

Interesting for sure.

I got -3. Ms G got -2.88
kathy

It is interesting.  Nobody on here is a rabid right-winger.  Or if so, is not admitting to it Laughing  Laughing
Mrs John Murphy

I am sure that there are plenty but they either haven't taken the test, or they've been lying in their answers.

One of the principle reasons why pol scientists don't pay any attention to opinion polls and why the results are so often so wrong is because people lie when answering the questions.

SS is so far the most authoritarian person here.
Slapshot 3

kathy wrote:
It is interesting.  Nobody on here is a rabid right-winger.  Or if so, is not admitting to it Laughing  Laughing


Now that just occurred to me as well, we're pretty much all green. That's probably quite interesting but as I know bugger all about political demographics I haven't a clue whats details make it interesting. Rolling Eyes  Embarassed

Mrs John Murphy wrote:
SS is so far the most authoritarian person here.


I have to wear a special uniform when I login to JC  Wink

Looking across the spectrum of forum personalities I wonder where some of our other members might lie???.....is there some rageing right-wing dictator out there on the JC member list??
kathy

Slapshot 3 wrote:


Looking across the spectrum of forum personalities I wonder where some of our other members might lie???.....is there some rageing right-wing dictator out there on the JC member list??


I can think of one, but I don't think he'd understand the kwestions Rolling Eyes  Laughing
Mrs John Murphy

Slapshot 3 wrote:


I have to wear a special uniform when I login to JC  Wink



A nice brown shirt and boots?

I can think of several people who are in the top right corner, and a few who are probably in the bottom right corner.

The only people who are in the top left corner don't have access to computers.
Slapshot 3

kathy wrote:
Slapshot 3 wrote:


Looking across the spectrum of forum personalities I wonder where some of our other members might lie???.....is there some rageing right-wing dictator out there on the JC member list??


I can think of one, but I don't think he'd understand the kwestions Rolling Eyes  Laughing


there's obviously a clue in there that my befuddled night shift brain can't work out... Rolling Eyes
SlowRower

Bartali wrote:
I was about -3.5, -3.5 Bartali ... ever the voice of compromise.... Wink


I am -2.8 and -2.6, which will perhaps surprise those with a memory of the discussions here around the UK general election last year!

Being roughly equidistant between the SDLP and the Greens is an odd place to be!! (Although liking the countryside and wanting to smack Ian Paisley on the nose is maybe not a bad philosophy to adopt.)
Severo

Last did this in January - -9.12/-7.03. What is a bit of a shame is that I've done it probably half a dozen times in the past ten years but I don't have the records from my earlier ones Sad
Biosphere

gerry12ie wrote:
The witch is dead


To be replaced by another fine partnership?


Link
kathy

Slapshot 3 wrote:


there's obviously a clue in there that my befuddled night shift brain can't work out... Rolling Eyes


Aw, cum on - not diffikult to work out!

Ciao!
Slapshot 3

kathy wrote:
Slapshot 3 wrote:


there's obviously a clue in there that my befuddled night shift brain can't work out... Rolling Eyes


Aw, cum on - not diffikult to work out!

Ciao!


Told you..night shift mode. I get the clues now but try hard not to think too much at night, why I never do the quiz in here!!
Fontfroide

Economic Left/Right: -9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.10

Like many displays of politics, I often have an intuition that I reject because I know that the answer I have, which is 'yes but', will distort the results.  That is, sometimes I want an 'indifferent' response, but if they offered it, it would mean that I don't care one way or the other, and yet I do.  You can't really say, when confronted with a quiz like this, that the question is framed in a way you don't like, you just have to answer it as if you agree with the framing.  I suppose you all felt like that for some questions.  Still did the best I could.


[/img]
maffy

-8.00/-6.72, which is 0.75 leftier and 0.82 more libertrarian than last may.

did any european ever get into the not-green area on this?
Nolte

SlowRower wrote:
Bartali wrote:
I was about -3.5, -3.5 Bartali ... ever the voice of compromise.... Wink


I am -2.8 and -2.6, which will perhaps surprise those with a memory of the discussions here around the UK general election last year!


phew, i'm not the furthest right wing person here:D
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.90


when i had done it previously in 2009, i got
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

so a big shift to the right
SlowRower

Nolte wrote:
phew, i'm not the furthest right wing person here...


Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm turning into more and more of a lefty every time I do this test whereas you are heading in the other direction. You'll be posting in praise of premium bottled water within the year. Smile
Guiness

SlowRower wrote:

You'll be posting in praise of premium bottled water within the year. Smile


Laughing HILARIOUS! Laughing
Biosphere

Guiness wrote:
SlowRower wrote:

You'll be posting in praise of premium bottled water within the year. Smile


Laughing HILARIOUS! Laughing


Well I was in favour of bottled water, so that either saved me from a -10,-10 or it's not what you think.
kathy

I'm just wondering how you can answer the questions so you don't land up in the green sector Confused
mazda

-2.88 / -0.21

close, but still in the green !

Agreed about the wording of some questions and I think it partly explains why it is difficult to get out of the bottom left quadrant.

At a simple level something like :
"The most important thing for children to learn is to accept discipline."
really should be worded "It is (very) important for children to learn to accept discipine."
Clearly the whole range of answers applies to the second, but the first skews the likely answer massively towards Disagreement.
Whether you think discipline is important or not it is unlikely anyone would think it the most important thing to learn.
Just my 2c.

As FF says, where is the "Yes, but" / "No, but".
(and no Little Britain jokes, please)
Nolte

SlowRower wrote:
Nolte wrote:
phew, i'm not the furthest right wing person here...


Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm turning into more and more of a lefty every time I do this test whereas you are heading in the other direction. You'll be posting in praise of premium bottled water within the year. Smile


i do buy bottled water if i'm out or if i have to walk home but i buy the cheap bottled water
on water charges, i actually agree with water charges. this is purely from an environmental point of view. the cost associated with getting the water to the tap in a drinkable form needs to be paid for and by having water as free, this leads to unneccessary waste of water by people.

Quote:
Ireland’s consumption of water, at 150l per person per day, is among the highest in Europe. There is no doubt that this is related to the absence of any direct charge for domestic users, as it encourages them to regard water as a free resource that they can use liberally.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspap...kend/2011/0108/1224287020772.html
paperman

Nolte wrote:
SlowRower wrote:
Nolte wrote:
phew, i'm not the furthest right wing person here...


Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm turning into more and more of a lefty every time I do this test whereas you are heading in the other direction. You'll be posting in praise of premium bottled water within the year. Smile


i do buy bottled water if i'm out or if i have to walk home but i buy the cheap bottled water
on water charges, i actually agree with water charges. this is purely from an environmental point of view. the cost associated with getting the water to the tap in a drinkable form needs to be paid for and by having water as free, this leads to unneccessary waste of water by people.

Quote:
Ireland’s consumption of water, at 150l per person per day, is among the highest in Europe. There is no doubt that this is related to the absence of any direct charge for domestic users, as it encourages them to regard water as a free resource that they can use liberally.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspap...kend/2011/0108/1224287020772.html


We pay for our water via taxation!!! that may be a narrow minded way to look at it but we do pay for it. I do agree with the idea of paying a bill for our water use for various reasons including the perception that it is free and so leads to excessive use and waste but our city and county councils are distibuting water through victorian systems. I'm not happy to pay for it for environmental reasons or any other when the amount of water we lose through leaks in our all but ancient system is so huge. Our useless government had stacks of money to replace and repair these systems during the boom years and did very little. The hapless and less than useless greens were in office for a time during this period too and were unable to do much for our water treatment/distribution systems.
Nolte

More Irish Elections with the Presidency Smile

excellent
ventoux

Nolte wrote:
More Irish Elections with the Presidency Smile

excellent

... and what a rum bunch we have to choose from...  Embarassed

       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> The Coffee Lounge
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum