Archive for justcycling.myfastforum.org Just Cycling
 


       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Around the World
sabcarrera

Have we stopped cycling for the winter?

I'm trying to get 60 km rides in between snow showers. Concentrating on keeping a basic level of fitness. This means doing 2-3 km climbs slowly.

I have noticed that more and more cyclists are getting rides in over the winter.
SlowRower

Nothing as sophisticated as tyre on tarmac for me, but plenty of 60-90 minute sessions on the turbo.
berck

The weather around here usually allows for riding year around. We've had a bit of rain though for the past few days. I don't like riding in that. I'll be out today!
thunderthighs

change sport.. its time to re-invent the body..ciao
CapeRoadie

thunderthighs wrote:
change sport.. its time to re-invent the body..ciao


+1

Exercise all the muscles that don't get a workout on the bike.  Lateral movements are essential, and so is maintaining an aerobic base.
Fontfroide

Of course one could live in the south of France.  Sunday it was a bit grey and cold, but no wind.  So it was a great pleasure to be out and about on the bike, even if only for 60k and not that fast.  cyclotourist speed for the four of us in the slowest group.  Down here we tend to avoid climbing long and high hills in the cold winter months, but still manage a lot of rides.   Although it can be quite cold, and it is the windiest area of France, it is dry and sunny.  I noticed early on that when it rains a little, and I mean a little, the lads just don't go out.  NOBODY has mudguards on the their bike.  We pretty much know that it will be better the next day or the next.  It is a great privilege to be able to ride all winter, in the sun, even a warming sun.  In England, even when the sun shone, it was not warming.  Here you need shades against the bright sun quite often, even when bundled up against the cold.  

We do start climbing again in the spring and even in January or February for the keen cyclosportif types.  I am not one of those.  I am in the last and slowest group, which includes guys who are 75.
Boogerd_Fan

Attending 3x spinning classes a week of various grades. Taking full advantage of a 50% discount through work while it lasts Very Happy

-5 outside so i need to!

Most motivated on a bike i've been for ages (end of 2007)
Bartali

Good man Boogie.  I've had about two months off - but started again at the weekend!
maffy

nah. not stopped. there's snow, and there's been snow for the last three weeks. to be honest, although i really like riding in snow, i'm a bit bored of snow.



although turbo trainers are flipping dull, i now would not mind one. happy new year, by the way.
Bartali

Happy New Year Maffy.  Great picture and good on you for keeping the wheels spinning despite the weather!
fede40

well most of my mileage comes, sadly, from going to work. anyway I'm still cycling to work.

btw, given that it just started snowing in London I'll probably stop for the next few (hopefully) days
thunderthighs

long time ago...ciao
cardinal guzman

Never mind stopped cycling for the winter - in the last 12 months I've cycled twice - once to work and once for pleasure. I don't cycle in the rain and I only got the one rain-free day off last year. I know Britain has a reputation for being wet, but I am locked into some kind of perverse cross between groundhog day and noah's deluge.
Bartali

That's cos you aren't on the right side of the pennines! Wink
CapeRoadie

We ride in winter when the snow's not deep.  Easy spins MWF for 30-60 min, Tuesdays & Thursdays  2-3 hours tempo, Saturday 10 one-legged intervals in the middle of 1 1/2 hour spin, Sunday 3-4 hours easy.  Base period is easy.
Bartali

No rest day?
CapeRoadie

Bartali wrote:
No rest day?


MWF are rest days.
cardinal guzman

Bartali wrote:
That's cos you aren't on the right side of the pennines! Wink


I've just bought a car that will fit a bike rack on it, so this summer my heart will be saved by the vale of York Laughing
Bartali

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Enchantress

Just saw this forum & thread...

Answer: heh, of course not but with a caveat. I'm training indoors about 90% of the time. Precious little gets me out of bed and into a 0 degree day for several hours of riding. Much more comfortable to use the indoor trainer/turbo for riding.
cardinal guzman

Well, I've finally sullied myself and bought an MTB. I've tried to get my colleagues to get road bikes but they ignore me and go off road so I've succumbed. Took it out for a test run today - it was good fun in a completely different way.

Click to see full size image
SlowRower

Never mind winter, Spring finally sprung at the weekend in our part of the world. Having abandoned the skiing gloves and thermals only two weeks ago for conventional winter kit, it was something of a surprise to be in shorts so soon.

The pasty-looking legs were alarming to see - apparently - but were spinning well, and early season form seems quite promising. However, all performances are judged in terms by times between lamp-posts and roundabouts etc. as I've not got round to sticking a speedo on my new bike, so I could just be deluding myself by having mis-remembered my performances for the route from last year!

Don't worry about the MTB flirtation, Cardinal. "Roadie" status is in the soul; it's not defined by anything as fleeting as the type of bike you're riding. You know you've converted when you start liking the drag of MTB tyres because the extra resistance is "good training". Smile
last km

Breaking news from deepest Brinscall in't north lad....last km is going to start riding to work next week  Shocked

Brinscall is 550 ft above sea level, work is at about 25 feet above sea level.... Rolling Eyes...oh and its about 8 miles as the crow flies
cardinal guzman

last km wrote:
Brinscall is 550 ft above sea level, work is at about 25 feet above sea level.... Rolling Eyes...oh and its about 8 miles as the crow flies


I have similar issues with work being 200m below our house - and all the gradient being in the last km of journey home - it's just too much!

SR - I hate that tyre vibration, I like the 27 uphill gears though! I thought the front shocks were locked but it seems I just don't have the weight to compress them hmmph.
SlowRower

cardinal guzman wrote:
SR - ... I like the 27 uphill gears though! I thought the front shocks were locked but it seems I just don't have the weight to compress them hmmph.


I found after a few years of MTBing that I'd lost the knack of out of the saddle climbing. Because the lowest gear is so low you can literally climb a lamp-post sitting down, and on rough climbs you want to stay seated to maintain traction, I did minimal standing climbing for years. (And that little I did really annoyed me because of the bouncing suspension forks.)

You can borrow my diet if you like. That'll soon have your front shockers bouncing round like Tigger. Smile
berck

I was used to standing and climbing from the road bike. When I hit the MTB, the front fork kept bouncing on me. I learned how to keep a stable upper body while doing it and got it to where there was literally no bounce when I stood and climbed on the MTB.

I looked at it as losing energy if I did the same old way on the road bike, so the MTB actually help me improve my road bike climbing.
last km

I am not a fan of suspension forks, I try and have them as stiff as comfortable....my work journey is on the road bike, so its not an issue, although some of the roads are rough as hell after the winters ice... Rolling Eyes
sabcarrera

last km wrote:
I am not a fan of suspension forks, I try and have them as stiff as comfortable....my work journey is on the road bike, so its not an issue, although some of the roads are rough as hell after the winters ice... Rolling Eyes


My MTB was completely worn out and I was looking for a new one and saw a nearly new Focus. That had suspensions with adjustable stiffness.

As it was I went back the next day to see about buying the bike but a bloke who had overheard me discussing it in the shop had beaten me to it. No MTB last winter.
Me, a fan?

didn't see this thread til now, but me and my buddies all got "secret weapons" this year, tons of fun.  Good way to mix it up if the only other option is a trainer.  Went out for several long rides at about 5 degrees F.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVPr54whDGs
maffy

that looks like loadsafun, me a fan thumleft

nice mtb cg

pavement on r2, serendipdoowadiddyty.
Fontfroide

I have these pals who go out every Monday, all year around, starting at six.  They ride about 80 miles stop at at pub and ride home.  They know something about lights.  Road bikes.  Northern England.  Are they crazy or what?  Been doing it for three years now.
cardinal guzman

Argh - just did a road ride on the MTB - not a mistake I'll be making again. I just don't have the power to make it move and now I'm broken. I was 'powering' along on a flat bit and my mate on my tourer coasted past me freeweeling, sat up with his hands off the bars!

Maybe I need some of those muscles I hear people talking about.
last km

Brinscall to work 20 mins by bike...15 in the car  Wink

Work to Brinscall ??? Its all up hill..I guess 35 minutes..TBC

EDIT:  Shocked 25 minutes ! perhaps Cofidis will snap me up as they had to withdraw from a race yesterday, due to illness etc
redster73

Sciatica curtailed riding for the last six months except a bit of the old MTBing over Hebden Bridge way and the Pennies - also put paid to any hopes of a return to the Tourmalet for this year's Etape.

Physio has sorted it out back on the road bike and starting to enjoy the lanes of Chesire once again...aiming get up to speed and head to Buxton and the Peaks for a ride in the not too distant future
SlowRower

Good luck with the recovery Redster. The mountains will still be there for you next year!
redster73

Another 30km in about an hour...back starting to stiffen but getting further and further and feeling fitter and fitter...2 hour jaunt next time out....
thunderthighs

redster ..stretch those hamstrings..or recovery will take forever..ciao
last km

you moved redster ? I seem to remeber you being down on the south coast.... or maybe Hebden Bridge is a longer Sunday run ?  Wink
redster73

last km wrote:
you moved redster ? I seem to remeber you being down on the south coast.... or maybe Hebden Bridge is a longer Sunday run ?  Wink


Altrincham now, so gentle rolls around the flatlands of Chesire with the odd sortie to me mates in Cragg Vale.....sadly no beach this summer Sad
gerry12ie

Can anybody recommend warm, waterproof boots that don't cost an arm and a leg?  My wife has the Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX and they are top notch but are also €250.00.  I normally wear Shimano MTB boots in the winter but they are fairly useless in the rain.  We were out this morning and it started to rain after about 10k and inside a few minutes my feet were soaking and numb with cold.  That was a minor inconvenience though, compared to the real drama of the morning.  On a spin to Blessington lakes we were charged by three attack dogs, at least two of which were rotweillers.  No warning bark, just a charge down a driveway and out on to the main road after us.  I managed to swerve sharply to avoid a rotweiller while Marianne had to make her way through the other two and then try to get away from 'my one' while he was inches away from her heels.  Worst thing was it was uphill and very hard to kick away.  Marianne was really badly shaken after it but I guess that ultimately we were lucky as it was on a main road so anything could have happened were there cars behind.  We stopped and rang the cops but we spoke to cyclists later who said that the dogs were still out an hour later.  All told, a miserable finish to a miserable week.
Guiness

That is one miserable week. I hope all is well now.

Boots. My fiance tried for years overshoes with no success. She still found she got cold and wet feet. I think she spent a fortune on overshoes. So she decided it was enough and went for the Sidi gore tex shoes. Not cheap mind you. So far so good but she does find that as she has small ankles, water still gets in at the top by the velcro. She also wears silk ski socks with another pair of socks on top (!) to keep warm.

I wear the Northwave Fahrenheit boots. Seem to keep feet toasty.
gerry12ie

Thanks, Guinness.  I actually tried for the Fahrenheit boots a couple of weeks ago but the bikeshop was out of them.  I'm going to London for a couple of days next week so I'll try to get them then.  Cheers
SlowRower

I've gone for the nuclear option recently when it's been wet - Porell Drys socks. I got them donkeys years ago and they are basically flexible rubber socks, so very much old technology. Completely impermeable in both directions, so v sweaty after a while, but the related micro climate keeps my toes warm. The neoprene overshoes on top probably aren't necessary, but I suffer very badly from cold extremities (doc suggests Reynaud's Syndrome but not formally diagnosed) and don't like to leave anything to chance.

Still working on the system for hands. Ski gloves maintain warmth, but at the cost of not being able to reliably brake or change gear, so this is a tough nut to crack.
MAILLOT JAUNE

Sorry, haven't got any suggestions for feet options - maybe try Prendas Ciclismo - they seem to have a good range of stuff.

Can understand what you mean about dexterity with ski gloves, but I met a woman, who had Reynauds, and ad electrically heated ski gloves! Might be an option...... sorry, dunno where she got 'em, but I guess you can google it.
Fontfroide

Feet option that works for me, although I do live where it is rather dry, even if rather cold, the South of France.

Sealskin socks over winter socks, with seriously excellent overshoes seems to do everything needed, except when it is pissing down seriously for a long time.  Certainly keeps the cold out when it is dry.

For hands I use cotton liners inside ski gloves for the coldest weather.  They seem to work well in the rain too, but down here we don't go out in the rain a lot.
Fontfroide

gerry12ie wrote:
Can anybody recommend warm, waterproof boots that don't cost an arm and a leg?  My wife has the Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX and they are top notch but are also €250.00.  I normally wear Shimano MTB boots in the winter but they are fairly useless in the rain.  We were out this morning and it started to rain after about 10k and inside a few minutes my feet were soaking and numb with cold.  That was a minor inconvenience though, compared to the real drama of the morning.  On a spin to Blessington lakes we were charged by three attack dogs, at least two of which were rotweillers.  No warning bark, just a charge down a driveway and out on to the main road after us.  I managed to swerve sharply to avoid a rotweiller while Marianne had to make her way through the other two and then try to get away from 'my one' while he was inches away from her heels.  Worst thing was it was uphill and very hard to kick away.  Marianne was really badly shaken after it but I guess that ultimately we were lucky as it was on a main road so anything could have happened were there cars behind.  We stopped and rang the cops but we spoke to cyclists later who said that the dogs were still out an hour later.  All told, a miserable finish to a miserable week.


Without wishing to seem naive, is that legal?  Can't you get the guy who left them out busted?  I remember after years of relative peace in the UK, I rode my bike a fair bit in Western Mass and found it a really scary thing, the dogs that were loose.  It seems to seldom happen around here in France.  It did once, and I had strong words for the owner who left them out.  But I never tried legal stuff.  I was ready to buy various sprays and noise makers but my stay was over before I did it.  I find those big dogs really quite scary.
Slapshot 3

Seaskins are the doggies danglers boys and girls, I've used them for years on the trials bike and they really are essential survival kit. Never used overshoes, wet feet never bothered me on the bike on or off roadbut as I "mature" it's something I may need to consider!!
SlowRower

Slapshot 3 wrote:
...but as I "mature"...


Is that really likely, though? Smile
Slapshot 3

SlowRower wrote:
Slapshot 3 wrote:
...but as I "mature"...


Is that really likely, though? Smile


No Chance Wink  Wink

Maybe should have said as the body "continues to disintegrate" hit 44 the other day but feel about ten years older!
gerry12ie

SlowRower wrote:


Still working on the system for hands. Ski gloves maintain warmth, but at the cost of not being able to reliably brake or change gear, so this is a tough nut to crack.


I recently got the Adidas Climawarm gloves and they are great so far.  They have a Gore type front and  'synthetic leather' palms and fingers that grip really well.  I reckon thin cotton or wool liners inside them will do the job nicely for when temperatures fall further.  Not quite sure if they count as a system though!
SlowRower

Slapshot 3 wrote:
Maybe should have said as the body "continues to disintegrate" hit 44 the other day but feel about ten years older!


Disintegration is about right at our sort of age. Evolution hasn't really caught up with the fact that we need to function properly past our late 30s. Apparently, we're only designed to live to ~35. Things like toothpaste and antibiotics have buggered nature's plan. Smile
SlowRower

gerry12ie wrote:
Not quite sure if they count as a system though!


Sorry - I lapsed into "Pretentious Cycling Kit Commentator" mode for a moment back there. Gloves are gloves, really, even if layered and designed for skiing. Smile
Bartali

You can get an Assos glove system that works very well!
gerry12ie

Bartali wrote:
You can get an Assos glove system that works very well!


And only 15 quid a finger!  Warning: Product contains Unicorn hair... Wink
Bartali

Smile

I think the Unicorn hair is in the Rapha gloves .... Wink
CapeRoadie

Baby, it's cold outside...
Fontfroide

Minus seven this morning, moving up to four or five now, excellent day for a walk and a level bike ride, no wind, sun, dry roads.   Love the South of France in the winter.
Slapshot 3

Fontfroide wrote:
Minus seven this morning, moving up to four or five now, excellent day for a walk and a level bike ride, no wind, sun, dry roads.   Love the South of France in the winter.


I wish......50 cm of snow in the back door about -1 at max heating... it's brilliant!! Just cleared the two cars, hers had 10 inches on the roof!!

SlowRower

Pretty chilly round our way as well. Allegedly -14C on Saturday night. A balmy -7C by 11am on Sunday when Mrs SR drove off to go running. She is definitely a "rider short of a full peleton" at times...

My turbo session finished around 10am, and in an unheated, well ventilated workshop, it was an "experience". Legs, chest and head were fine(ish), warmed by the exercise, but feet and hands were completely numb despite thick socks and gloves respectively. (There was ice on the cleats when I started, though!)

I did what would normally be classed as a high end tempo / threshold ride - far harder than the plan calls for at this time of year - as this was the only way to generate enough body heat to stay warm.

No running for Mrs SR for a while now, though...


Bartali

Fools ..... you are all fools!!!  Stay indoors like god intended!
Slapshot 3

Bartali wrote:
Fools ..... you are all fools!!!  Stay indoors like god intended!


nah...need to get out... otherwise you can't get pics like mine on here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11854316

Last one in the gallery


SlowRower

Bartali wrote:
Fools ..... you are all fools!!!  Stay indoors like god intended!


I hope you're not referring to Mrs SR in such a manner. Men have died slowly and painfully for much less. Smile

My photo was taken from an upstairs window. I've only ventured outside today to dig out a car so Mrs SR could take the kids to school and to fill the coal scuttle. I stocked up on a month's supply of baked beans yesterday before the weather closed in, so we're in good shape to survive.
Guiness

Nice shot there Slapshot.

We visited Ms G's folks up in Skipton and missed the snow there just in time only to come home to Kent and get snowed in here! Figure that one out.  Rolling Eyes

Be safe.
Bartali

Slapshot 3 wrote:


SS ... is your house suspended from a crane?
Bartali

Not the best photo as taken in the dead of night .... but this is my little boy Jack experiencing snow for the first time. (Until recently he was a 'house cat'.)

Slapshot 3

Bartali wrote:
Slapshot 3 wrote:


SS ... is your house suspended from a crane?


Yeah...it's cheaper than paying for land up here!!
Guiness

Bartali wrote:
Not the best photo as taken in the dead of night .... but this is my little boy Jack experiencing snow for the first time. (Until recently he was a 'house cat'.)


What do you mean by a house-cat? An indoor cat? Why the change (to an outdoor one?). Was he an indoor cat for a few months when he was a kitten so now that he is bigger he can be let outside? Our cat roams where he pleases. Always thought whether he'd be safer and healthier if he was just indoors. And i'll get no nasty suprises that he brings to the bedroom at 5am!

I'm sure Kathy would disapprove of my thoughts.

Just curious what you all as cat owners think.

Nice pic BTW
Slapshot 3

Guiness wrote:
Bartali wrote:
Not the best photo as taken in the dead of night .... but this is my little boy Jack experiencing snow for the first time. (Until recently he was a 'house cat'.)


What do you mean by a house-cat? An indoor cat? Why the change (to an outdoor one?). Was he an indoor cat for a few months when he was a kitten so now that he is bigger he can be let outside? Our cat roams where he pleases. Always thought whether he'd be safer and healthier if he was just indoors. And i'll get no nasty suprises that he brings to the bedroom at 5am!

I'm sure Kathy would disapprove of my thoughts.

Just curious what you all as cat owners think.

Nice pic BTW


Our three hooligans are very indoor cats, Tonks especially and though dabbled with the snow last year is quite happy sitting on a windowsill looking out at the idiots in the snow.

Any way Ollie had his first "play" the other day but didn't seem too impressed, I opened the back door when I got up this afternoon to then three of them and the dutifully tripped out onto the porch. Tonks just sat, Ollie bounded out with Kittenish glee into a 4 foot drift and had to be lifted out and Sirius just stood with the big eyes saying Dad do you think we are stupid!!
Bartali

My too boys have always been indoor cats (from birth).  I don't want to lose them to the busy road or cat snatchers!  (Yes ... you do get such things!)  However, a couple of months ago I 'cat proofed' my garden.  Yes it does look like Colditz, but its worth it to see little Jack enjoy himself (and re-establish his inner alpha cat).  Oliver just doesn't get the whole outside thing .... its just further to walk to his food bowl so what's the point of that!!
Guiness

Call me stupid (er... don't) but Bart if they were outdoor why suddenly change their habit - what they have always known? How long have they been indoor? What they don't know won't harm them.  (BTW Didn't think you had two. Thought you had the one. Nice though. )  The bottom line is why make them outdoor if they have been happy indoor? I assume they have been happy indoor? I've seen the secur-a-cat fencing and always wondered if they work or even look good in real life. In our home since we moved from London to Kent, our cat has been outdoors since we brought him home. We couldn't really put up the fencing, as we would have to chop down an apple tree and do some other fancy stuff to the shed which might prove impossible. But there are fields behind our garden (farm land) so we are a little fortunate that there is no major road. No idea how far he goes though. Would love to put a little camera on his head so I can see where the little one disappears to! Probably sleeps somewhere warm...
Guiness

Tonks, Ollie and Sirius ... wonderful names there Slapshot!
Bartali

They've always been indoor boys but Jack has always had an interest in going outside and was out like a shot as soon as I opened the back door.

Yup two boys ...

Slapshot 3

Guiness wrote:
Tonks, Ollie and Sirius ... wonderful names there Slapshot!


A Ms Rowling had a hand in them..... Nymphadora Tonks, Siruis Black and Mr Ollivander all Harry Potter characters..can you tell we are all fans of the books and films  Wink
Bartali

My boys' names have a literary twist too (no pun intended).

See ... I've even given you a clue!
MAILLOT JAUNE

Dickens?????

Love the chat about cats. Maybe we should have a separate sticky thread in the Coffe Lounge dedicated to cats
Guiness

Gotcha Bart -

Oliver Twist.

Jack Dawkins. The Artful Dodger.

Fun of Dickens? Or were your cats both orphans?
Guiness

Slapshot 3 wrote:
Guiness wrote:
Tonks, Ollie and Sirius ... wonderful names there Slapshot!


A Ms Rowling had a hand in them..... Nymphadora Tonks, Siruis Black and Mr Ollivander all Harry Potter characters..can you tell we are all fans of the books and films  Wink


BEAUTIFUL!!!
Bartali

Guiness wrote:
Gotcha Bart -

Oliver Twist.

Jack Dawkins. The Artful Dodger.

Fun of Dickens? Or were your cats both orphans?


Bingo!  Well done!

The names just seemed to work.  Oliver was a very skinny timid kitten and always wanted MORE food (no change there other than he is now fat!).  Jack was just the opposite ... always exploring, always playing .... into everything!
Slapshot 3

Bartali wrote:
Guiness wrote:
Gotcha Bart -

Oliver Twist.

Jack Dawkins. The Artful Dodger.

Fun of Dickens? Or were your cats both orphans?


Bingo!  Well done!

The names just seemed to work.  Oliver was a very skinny timid kitten and always wanted MORE food (no change there other than he is now fat!).  Jack was just the opposite ... always exploring, always playing .... into everything!


It's a really difficult thing picking out good names, the really have to fit, starting to wonder whether we should really have called Ollie Voldemort!!

Anyway no sign of an abatement....... whatever compaction happens it just keeps coming.


SlowRower

OK then. There's a free exclusive "Weekend Warrior" thread to the first person who can deduce the origins of Feline Rower #1's official name of "Cally".

(2 such threads for all wrong answers!)

As a clue, it's far less cultured than Bart and potentially even less cultured than Slapshot.
Slapshot 3

SlowRower wrote:
OK then. There's a free exclusive "Weekend Warrior" thread to the first person who can deduce the origins of Feline Rower #1's official name of "Cally".

(2 such threads for all wrong answers!)

As a clue, it's far less cultured than Bart and potentially even less cultured than Slapshot.


You call that cultured..... Blake's 7, showin your age mate!!

Literary inspirations, well, you can't aim too high, might have gone for Chekov or Shostikovich but no other bugger can pronounce the characters names.


EDIT.... i'm sensing some boy hood crush on SR's behalf
SlowRower

Slapshot 3 wrote:
...might have gone for Chekov...


***Crap joke alert***

The cat was named after the character in Blake's 7 rather than anyone in Star Trek

***End of crap joke alert***

I actually wanted to call beast "Galois" after my favourite mathematician.

(Sad story - Galois was something of an eccentric. Produced a huge body of work in his teens that no-one understood at the time. Fell in love with the daughter of the Mayor of Paris. Felt compelled to challenge a love rival to a duel. Stayed up all the night before writing up a small fraction of his work. Too tired the next day to shoot straight and paid the price, dying aged 21. Some of his work on Group Theory was ultimately used "for real" for the first time in the development of the atom bomb.)

Not quite so sad was that I was over-ruled and Cally was the name, inspired indeed by Blake's 7. I did have a bit of a thing for Cally at the time, but with hindsight, Jenna was more my type, or maybe, given my attraction to scary women, Servalan would have been more my cup of tea. Smile
Slapshot 3

SlowRower wrote:
Slapshot 3 wrote:
...might have gone for Chekov...


***Crap joke alert***

The cat was named after the character in Blake's 7 rather than anyone in Star Trek

***End of crap joke alert***


Actually I didn't think of that.....more the classic Russian author!

Quote:

I actually wanted to call beast "Galois" after my favourite mathematician.

(Sad story - Galois was something of an eccentric. Produced a huge body of work in his teens that no-one understood at the time. Fell in love with the daughter of the Mayor of Paris. Felt compelled to challenge a love rival to a duel. Stayed up all the night before writing up a small fraction of his work. Too tired the next day to shoot straight and paid the price, dying aged 21. Some of his work on Group Theory was ultimately used "for real" for the first time in the development of the atom bomb.)


oh dear....... Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Not quite so sad was that I was over-ruled and Cally was the name, inspired indeed by Blake's 7. I did have a bit of a thing for Cally at the time, but with hindsight, Jenna was more my type, or maybe, given my attraction to scary women, Servalan would have been more my cup of tea. Smile


I suppose the odd Dr Who assistant was attractive, Leela of the Sevateem, Louise Jamieson in a leotard was erm "inspirational" to a young teenage chap mind you so was Liz Sladen.
Bartali

Leela ...... wow, now she was an attractive women!!
Slapshot 3

Bartali wrote:
Leela ...... wow, now she was an attractive women!!


Absolutely..even got my old man watching thumright
SlowRower

Back "on topic", for a while...

No cycling for a while I suspect. I was -15.5C in our part of the world this morning on the school run.

Could be time to dust down Mrs SR's old skis and do a bit of XC ski training on the loop round our village which is currently 1 mile of sheet ice. Smile
Guiness

Slapshot 3 wrote:
Bartali wrote:
Leela ...... wow, now she was an attractive women!!


Absolutely..even got my old man watching thumright


Definitely YES on this one! But my fav recent companion was the companion to the 10th Dr Who.  Martha.

A 'normal’ young beautiful woman with brains.  Also (and Ms G agrees with me on this one) a role model to young female viewers.

Tenth Dr Who and Martha


cannonda13fan

I've stopped now for the Winter as last year I made the mistake of carrying on and slipping on a patch of black ice. Ended up in casualty with two broken ribs. Not a good start to the festive season!
Bartali

Ouch!  Hope you have a better festive season this year!
Slapshot 3

.......more feckin snow........some lovely big drifts up here this morning
Guiness

Ms G has ben taking me out cycling every weekend - yup - out in the great outdoors. Let's just say it is either bl**dy freezing or raining like cats and dogs! Bring out the sun soon... please!

       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Around the World
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum