Archive for justcycling.myfastforum.org Just Cycling
 


       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> The 3 GTīs
Slapshot 3

Great News.....

Le Tour highlights being shown of Forces TV, courtesy of ITV 4.......BAD BAD news I have to listen to Statler and Waldorf commentating!!!


Still beggars can't be choosers Very Happy
Biosphere

Well at least you get Imlach also? And Boulting? Not seen ITV since 2010 so don't know if there have been changes.
Slapshot 3

Yup, Boulting and Imlach with Boardman as well....mind you they didn't mention Armstrong once that I saw..;0)
Severo

Imlach did the other day, but not going on about it in the fairly short time they have.
Fontfroide

Re: Great News.....

Slapshot 3 wrote:
Le Tour highlights being shown of Forces TV, courtesy of ITV 4.......BAD BAD news I have to listen to Statler and Waldorf commentating!!!


For those of us who have never seen ITV4, who are Statler and Waldorf?  I have heard Imlach, who I rather liked.  Boardman, of course, but who are these other guys.

By the way I still say there is no one who can do a good job doing hours of commentary, just filling up empty time, with a race/sport which is mostly boring and lasts for HOURS.  The reason we like guys like Imlach or Fignon, or even Kelly or Jalabert is that they only say something when they have something to say, when something is happening.  The other guys, like Thierry Adam, who does the French commentary, often repeat empty phrases and talk nonsense becasue there actually is nothing going on at all, and they should just leave us alone in silence.  Also they are often ignorant about cycling, but not always.  I once tried being a sports commentator and it is really hard with cycling.

Have any of you tried to do it with the sound turned down, just commenting on the picture, which is what they do?  You would quickly find it very hard to stay intelligent for hours, believe me.

But I do like some more than others.
ventoux

Re: Great News.....

Fontfroide wrote:
Slapshot 3 wrote:
Le Tour highlights being shown of Forces TV, courtesy of ITV 4.......BAD BAD news I have to listen to Statler and Waldorf commentating!!!


For those of us who have never seen ITV4, who are Statler and Waldorf?


That'll be the inestimable Paul & Phil (Sherwen & Liggett) - reference The Muppet show.....

my very favourite from Paul, when a rider stopped on the grass... "he's just pulled himself off there on the side of the road" sorry..... Embarassed  Embarassed
SAP

I have to put up with Phil and Paul on NBC Sports (the old Versus network) but I'm just grateful to have live coverage of le Tour.  I can't get the same for the Giro or Vuelta because that's on another NBC network (Universal Sports) and my cable guys don't carry that channel.  I am hoping they pick it up in time for the Olympics because some of the action will be on Universal Sports.
Fontfroide

Re: Great News.....

ventoux wrote:
Fontfroide wrote:
Slapshot 3 wrote:
Le Tour highlights being shown of Forces TV, courtesy of ITV 4.......BAD BAD news I have to listen to Statler and Waldorf commentating!!!


For those of us who have never seen ITV4, who are Statler and Waldorf?


That'll be the inestimable Paul & Phil (Sherwen & Liggett) - reference The Muppet show.....

my very favourite from Paul, when a rider stopped on the grass... "he's just pulled himself off there on the side of the road" sorry..... Embarassed  Embarassed


Thanks for the help.  It is getting ridiculous now.  I don't understand popular cultural references in the UK, nor in the USA, nor in France.  At home nowhere.  Sorry to be so ignorant.  I actually never watched the Muppets.  I have, however, watched Paul and Phil.

       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> The 3 GTīs
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum