Archive for justcycling.myfastforum.org Just Cycling
 


       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Dr.Fuentes Consulting Room
Slapshot

Food

How much food do you take with you when you going out riding? and what tipe of food? gels, bars etc....

I for example, for a ride of 130km today(80m approx) I am taking a banana, 2 cereal bars, and gel too
http://www.isostar.com/en-GB/Prod...gie/energieActifood/actifood.aspx
kellyrocheearly

if i'm going for more than 3 hours i'll take 2 bottles, one with energy drink and the other water. For food i'll have a banana or some bread & jam sandwiches cut up half so i can eat in two bites. Fig rolls are also good and easy to carry.
I'd use a gel for a long race as its just easier than chewing food
berck

I'll eat one gel pack about every hour to 1.5 hours, along with some energy drink like KRE said. I've noticed that the longer I go, the more important eating becomes. Its easy not to eat much up to about 50 km. But I've noticed if you go farther, you have a tendency to bonk. Hence, I always make sure I have something on every ride. The more I go beyond 50km, the higher my caloric intake will become per km. For my 130km ride I did last saturday, I ate about 1500 calories that day during the ride. I burned about 4000, but was fine and never felt I would bonk.
Slapshot

I only bonked once, but is enough to teach you a lesson, I always carry more that I need, but sometimes I do rides through new roads and you canīt expect to find a shop or petrol station every 10 miles.

the other thing is, why there isnīt any water fountains in the UK??????? that really gets on my nerves!!!
cyclingtv

bergaretxebe wrote:
I only bonked once, but is enough to teach you a lesson, I always carry more that I need, but sometimes I do rides through new roads and you canīt expect to find a shop or petrol station every 10 miles.

the other thing is, why there isnīt any water fountains in the UK??????? that really gets on my nerves!!!
I tend to bonk once I have gone over 200 kms..
no gas left in the tank.. no matter what I have eaten..
weighing over 220 lbs has a lot to do with it.. Embarassed
crash48

Berg

Is that all the food you take?

How much do you drink?

In a long race or fast sportif arounf 150 kms I would drink 6-8 (depending on the heat) bottles of energy drink, a couple of energy bars some fig rolls and anywhere up to 5 gels.
chasm

One sachet of carbohydrate gel every half hour plus about 1 litre of water per 50kms. I usually take a flapjack as an alternative to a couple of the gels just to vary things a little and make me feel I've eaten something real.
Slapshot

where do you take all that?? do you carry a trolley???? Wink

I normally stop at a petrol station or small shop to get more water, can of coke, and a mars bar or something like that,

I know in the sportif I wont have a prob cos there are feeding points every 50km, but I am taking my gels and cereal bars too
CapeRoadie

One 24-oz. bottle per hour of Accelerade or similar. Baking soda makes it fizzy and will explode the bottle (and my stomach) if I used too much. A half- to full teaspoon in 24 oz. is usually enough. It helps the cramps and acid build-up in the bloodstream and muscles. The protein in the Accelerade is good since I have more calories and don't get as hungry. If it's time to eat, it's time to eat. I eat on the bike exactly as I do otherwise. I eat small meals and spread them out a littel over time. The after-ride meal is the most important. There is a 15-minute window, according to the research, in which to replenish muscle glycogen (45 minutes max). Protein and fairly simple sugars get in right away. Endurox R4 or similar, or skim chocolate milk with a little sea salt and an L-glutamine capsule work best. Then a really good meal 1-2 hours later.

If you need help in a sprint, caffeine pills about 3-6 km away from the finish helps, I have read. I haven't tried that yet, though.
crash48

Just stick the gels and bars in the back pockets-they will go fast enough.

I aim for 500-700 MLs an hour, more if its very hot.

I suck down gels before the start of long climbs, and then when I come down the mountain and turn onto flat or head wind I will use another gel. All the time I have small amounts of bars every 30 mins or so.

I with cape on the 15-20 mins after your event, get recovery food or drink into you and then again 90 mins after that.
kellyrocheearly

always have a snack after a ride and a full meal not long after that especially if you intend on riding the next day.
Its all about eating, drinking & sleeping
Slapshot

I normally, as soon as walk in, eat some fruit, some bread and two or three dry figs (dry figs are great, and you can get a good size bag for less than a quid at tesco) and a pint of energy drink, and after the shower etc... I have a proper meal
CapeRoadie

Oh yeah and drink enough water in the days before. Especially the day before, like enough to make you piss every hour, and then every half hour the morning of the race. We call it "water loading". Amazing to me how well it works.
CapeRoadie

crash48 wrote:
Just stick the gels and bars in the back pockets-they will go fast enough.

I aim for 500-700 MLs an hour, more if its very hot.

I suck down gels before the start of long climbs, and then when I come down the mountain and turn onto flat or head wind I will use another gel. All the time I have small amounts of bars every 30 mins or so.

I with cape on the 15-20 mins after your event, get recovery food or drink into you and then again 90 mins after that.


We are good at eating, aren't we? Now, if I could just race a bike faster...

What in hell is a milliliter, crash?
CapeRoadie

kellyrocheearly wrote:
if i'm going for more than 3 hours i'll take 2 bottles, one with energy drink and the other water. For food i'll have a banana or some bread & jam sandwiches cut up half so i can eat in two bites. Fig rolls are also good and easy to carry.
I'd use a gel for a long race as its just easier than chewing food


Hey are you racing this weekend? I'm doing a 56-miler in Monson, MA called "Cyclonauts", whatever the hell that is. This is my "A" race. I'm nervous!
crash48

Its a special amount cape! Wink

Good luck kellyrocheearly
kellyrocheearly

Yep i'm riding the Cyclonauts too, looking forward to it as i havent done a proper road race since Sterling last month and i havent done one this long sine the last year i raced in 2003. Just hope i have the legs for the hills, plan to sit in and save energy as much as possible!
cardinal guzman

Trail mix - a handful as often as I can manage being extra careful not to be breathing in when hand goes to mouth cos the lungs don't accept it as readily as the stomach and makes me go a bit - Embarassed Shocked
Bartali

cardinal guzman wrote:
Trail mix - a handful as often as I can manage being extra careful not to be breathing in when hand goes to mouth cos the lungs don't accept it as readily as the stomach and makes me go a bit - Embarassed Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing
bbnaz

baileys before a ride always has worked nicely.
kellyrocheearly

not a bad idea BB!!!
i think i will reward my weekend of riding with a Baileys tonight
bbnaz

Mr. Green
forza_petacchi

2 bottles, a power/clif bar....that's it! I used to use Gatorade all the time (powder + water) but I've gotten sick of it and now i just use water.
smarauder68

Tortellini was scrumptuous tonight at the smarauder household...miiiiiiiinchia' che buono!!! Smile

       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Dr.Fuentes Consulting Room
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum