Archive for justcycling.myfastforum.org Just Cycling
 


       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Cycling Forum
Biosphere

Critérium du Dauphiné: 5th - 12th June 2015

The FP thread for this is up an running. Must get slightly smaller profiles as they're probably bigger than some screens. Anyway . . .

http://justcycling.myfastforum.org/about5370.html
Nolte

The prologue is a 4km hill climb?

Or as it is at 1,500 metres, would it be a mountain climb?
Biosphere

Nolte wrote:
The prologue is a 4km hill climb?

Or as it is at 1,500 metres, would it be a mountain climb?


The internet is getting excited about it being a W/kg festival on Sunday Wink
Slapshot 3

I can't ever remember a prologue like that anywhere... its fantastic, so much better than a 4km flat run round a wee town somewhere.
Nolte

Live pictures back now.
Froome the early leader
Bartali

Nice!  I enjoyed that Smile
Slapshot 3

Bartali wrote:
Nice!  I enjoyed that Smile


need more prologues like that!!
Fontfroide

Totally agree, a bit of uncertainty, a bit of suspense, and real pretty countryside.  What's not to like?  Bodes well for the rest of the race.  Some mighty fit lads in there today.
Boogerd_Fan

I'm surprised Alaphillipe lived up to his billing as one of the favourites.. i thought that would be dominated by the GC guys and a couple of super-domestiques.
HuwB

Bouhanni is a complete nut job.
Lucky we didn't get half the peloton on the ground, today.
Bartali

Yup!!  I couldn't see who did what, but very dangerous!!
HuwB

Bartali

Unbelievable!!
Nolte

Wasn't mark renshaw ejected from tour de France for something similar a few years ago?

Watching it live today, I don:'t recall seeing a replay of the incident afterwards.
ventoux

Nolte wrote:
Wasn't mark renshaw ejected from tour de France for something similar a few years ago


I see that Mr Greipel has tweeted agreeing with you.....

I watched it live, and Mrs Ventoux (who couldn't see what I was watching)  wondered why I kept saying "bloody hell!"
Biosphere

Renshaw isn't French Wink

ITV seemed to think it was great fun!

I was surprised there was no action taken - the argument that no one actually got hurt and Kristoff didn't seem to mind is fairly irrelevant IMO.
ventoux

The Guardian demonstrates (again) a fundamental lack of understanding....

Quote:
The two-time Tour de France winner managed to regain his balance in time to avoid a crash but was unable to prevent the Frenchman Bouhanni from claiming the stage
  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes
mr shifter

Biosphere wrote:
Renshaw isn't French Wink

ITV seemed to think it was great fun!

I was surprised there was no action taken - the argument that no one actually got hurt and Kristoff didn't seem to mind is fairly rstaeIMO.
Come Come now.
An ASO race in France, so when did they ever penalise a French Rider.  Question
Like the Renshaw incident, I didn't understand the problem, but then it was a common occurance when I raced on the Tracks.
mr shifter

`
Duplicate
Fontfroide

Although I do agree that Bouhanni is always pushing the envelope, and already he has paid for this, and that one day there will be a crash and we will hold him responsible … I counted at least four different guys doing body swaying, head/upper body pushing (a "head butt" is face to face), plus a bit of steady pressure with entire body and bike, and Kristoff even ran into his own guy's back wheel.  It was a precarious sprint, but nothing we have not seen before.  If I were in the judges' office, I would have had a hard time deciding whom to relegate and whom to let off.  I mean if you push into a train, is that illegal.  If the guy in the train pushes back?

One quickly gets into a "He started it …" type of argument.  Anyway, there is NO WAY Bouhanni was the only possible transgressor.  You guys are developing a prejudice that will be hard to change.  Although yes, he is a bit aggressive!
Fontfroide

Biosphere wrote:
and Kristoff didn't seem to mind is fairly irrelevant IMO.


This is because, maybe, it was Kristoff who ran into his teammate's back wheel, as he admitted in an interview.  You can see it clearly on the slo-mo replay.
mazda

Other riders are condemning Cofidis though.

The fact that Kristoff made a subsequent mistake doesn't excuse the earlier behaviour, of either team.

Why not DQ both ? (I think we have already answered that) Wink

I am surprised that teams don't have plans in place for the case where an enemy rider has latched onto / barged into their train.
mazda

Meanwhile ...

5 riders have a 3' advantage.
Tinkoff and Sky controlling things.
Looks good for Dan Martin.
mr shifter

Fontfroide wrote:
One quickly gets into a "He started it …" type of argument.  Anyway, there is NO WAY Bouhanni was the only possible transgressor.  You guys are developing a prejudice that will be hard to change.  Although yes, he is a bit aggressive!

We have seen it all before with Djamolidine Abdoujaparov or the big guy who would just lean on riders to get his positioning, Mario Cipollini.
mazda

Lead went out to over 5'.
Etixx bringing the gap down.
How could I forget they have Alaphilippe as well as Martin ?
mazda

Gallopin and 2 others have caught 2 of the original 5.
Code:

GALLOPIN T. 91    LTS
HUZARSKI B. 195   BOA
GOUGEARD A. 67    ALM
PAUWELS S. 116    DDD
JEANDESBOZ F. 145 DEN
mazda

Peloton looks like it will catch them.
mazda

Navarro and Henao coming across to 3 leaders.
mazda

All comes back together in final 500m.
Herrada for Movistar !
mazda

Gallopin hung on for second, Pauwels third.
HuwB

Ag2r take over from Cofidis, with Romain Bardet and Alex Vuillemoz providing today's moment of french farce. After bringing only each other down, Bardet did well to limit his loss to 45 seconds. Vuillemoz lost 35 more seconds, but he did spend more time on the ground, waving his arms about and looking sullenly bemused.

Jose Herrada managed to out Valverde his boss, with a rocket powered final uphill sprint.

The other big loser was Fabio Aru, who looks even more lacking in form than his Sicilian senior.. Without the excuse of a crash, the Astana phenomenon manage to be the only team leader to drop time. Adding 21 seconds to his already sizeable deficit, the young Sardinia will have to produce another Astana last weekend specials, if he is to get anywhere near the GC podium.
gerry12ie

I dodged any updates today but I should have really tuned into Radio Mazda, as Kirby made the highlights virtually unwatchable with his moronic outbursts.  

It looked like Froome had managed a gap, but the GC remains unchanged.
Fontfroide

mr shifter wrote:
Fontfroide wrote:
One quickly gets into a "He started it …" type of argument.  Anyway, there is NO WAY Bouhanni was the only possible transgressor.  You guys are developing a prejudice that will be hard to change.  Although yes, he is a bit aggressive!

We have seen it all before with Djamolidine Abdoujaparov or the big guy who would just lean on riders to get his positioning, Mario Cipollini.


We have.  Even Cavendish had to do a bit of it when he was left alone, and I even vaguely remember Maceewen doing a bit of this sort of thing.

I do still agree that it was a very rough sprint, and that the Cofidis guys were at the heart of the roughness and right on the edge.  Who would have thought that two years ago?  They must have been getting some training and some briefings, since they pretty much have Bouhanni for victories and not a lot of other possibilities.  I hope they don't try that kind of thing at the Tour, where there are more trains and teams perfectly capable of handing it out.
HuwB

Bertie had trouble crossing his Rubicon, so he got a large, helping hand from a team mate.
Porte should be in the leader's jersey.

Quote:
Race incident number 9, article 12.1.040 of the UCI regulations states that the punishment for performing an illegal flying relay in a road race (amongst team-mates) is a fine of 200 Swiss Francs and a penalty of 10 seconds.



Aru seems to have got his mojo back. Or maybe that should read moto. Holding off the sizeable peloton, even increasing his lead, right until the final sprint.
mazda

HuwB wrote:
Bertie had trouble crossing his Rubicon, so he got a large, helping hand from a team mate.
Porte should be in the leader's jersey.

Quote:
Race incident number 9, article 12.1.040 of the UCI regulations states that the punishment for performing an illegal flying relay in a road race (amongst team-mates) is a fine of 200 Swiss Francs and a penalty of 10 seconds.



Aru seems to have got his mojo back. Or maybe that should read moto. Holding off the sizeable peloton, even increasing his lead, right until the final sprint.


Watched it last night.
How on earth did Aru manage that ?
He even did work while part of the group of 8 or so riders when LLS came across.

All I can think of is that the disruption due to the "crashes" caused enough uncertainty.

edit - obviously it isn't the only explanation I can think of, but you know what I mean
mazda

50 km gone.
3 leaders have about 3 km over the peloton.

Maxime "Ou est?" Bouet
Federik Veuchelen
Bryan Nauleau
mazda

Race gets weirder.

EBH from Alaphilippe and Bouhanni.

A split in the peloton (and bonus for Julian) seems to have brought the GC closer, but Contador still leads.
HuwB

mazda wrote:
Race gets weirder.

EBH from Alaphilippe and Bouhanni.

A split in the peloton (and bonus for Julian) seems to have brought the GC closer, but Contador still leads.


Becoming a bit of a Contador trade mark.
Did it in Paris-Nice, handing Geraint Thomas a few precious seconds.
Did it on stage 2, but got away with it.
Failed (as did others) to make the required effort with another uphill sprint, today.
Froome ahead, the benefactor.

Bozic was the Cofidis rider who crashed horribly, but managed to finish. Gougeard the Ag2r rider involved.
Biosphere

mazda wrote:
. . . obviously it isn't the only explanation I can think of, but you know what I mean


An explanation I read was that the sprinters had dropped their lead out men on the climb and had not enough horsepower to bring Aru back.

Contador was grumbling a bit that the 3km rule should have applied as he was held up today. ITV said no he shouldn't as it didn't split the peloton and he was lucky not to have been docked 20s for the aforementioned hand sling.
HuwB

A bit rich to complain about rules not being enforced.
Especially with an imaginary peloton split versus a huge hand sling caught on camera.
Nolte

Biosphere wrote:
mazda wrote:
. . . obviously it isn't the only explanation I can think of, but you know what I mean


An explanation I read was that the sprinters had dropped their lead out men on the climb and had not enough horsepower to bring Aru back.

Contador was grumbling a bit that the 3km rule should have applied as he was held up today. ITV said no he shouldn't as it didn't split the peloton and he was lucky not to have been docked 20s for the aforementioned hand sling.


Also arguing that Chris froome had been behind contador and Dan martin beside him.

Messy sprint, at one stage I think boassen Hagen was leading his dimension data team mates
mazda

Large group ahead over the Cat 1. About 1'15.

Hesjedal is at 0'49" on GC so is virtual leader.
EBH in the Green jersey also present (although I can't see any sprint points).
Teklehaimanot is there to collect mountain points.

Tinkoff have Kreuziger and Kiserlovski in the break but still controlling the peloton.
Be interesting to see if they, or other GC teams let the break go a lot further out.
Etixx would seem to have most to lose - Sky have Poels, BMC have GVA, Astana have Grivko.
mazda

Gap coming down slightly.

Just realised the stage is going past Lac Verney on the lower slopes of the Glandon and not far from Huez.
HuwB

An explosive final climb.
Sky launch Landa. Froome bluffs, Dan Martin bites and Bertie follows.
The Dawg looks sluggish until things up front calm down, then hits them with the sucker punch.
Contador cracks spectacularly. Only Porte can follow his old boss. Martin and Adam Yates arrive to aid the floundering Spaniard. Another good group of contenders forms behind, with the unlucky Bardet the best of that bunch.
Froome v Porte in the final sprint gives up the expected result.
Bertie comes in a poor third from his group. Someone elsewhere described him as looking like a ravaged Lance in his final Tour.
Has he finally reached the end of his Tour chasing road?
Nolte

the froome attack caught dan martin dawdling on the pedals. contador looked poor. froome and porte looked good.
yates and martin seemed both to find a nice rhythm for themselves
HuwB

At the bottom of La Madeleine, Alberto Contador and Fabio Aru have attacked. Six riders on the offensive at km 52: Contador and Jesper Hansen (Tinkoff), Aru (Astana), Joaquim Rodriguez (Katusha), Dayer Quintana (Movistar) and Bjorn Thurau (Wanty)
Nolte

10.4km left, bardet, pinot on the attack and hopefully no more as breaks for itv4 (during the previous one, Eurosport had returned a short time and Kirby had his Brian smith written rant about meintjes joining lampre)
HuwB

It's a good day when you are not at your best, but you increase your overall lead.
Bardet took the wrong option in trying for the stage over GC.
67 seconds and 6 bonus seconds, but it could have been 10 seconds more.
Would have been right up Froome's GC rear.

Pinot saves his Dauphine with the stage win and the KOM title in his sights.
gerry12ie

Drag Queen stage
HuwB

gerry12ie wrote:
Drag Queen stage


Laughing  Yup

Bardet 3rd but equal in time with Porte.
Silly boy.
Nolte

HuwB wrote:
It's a good day when you are not at your best, but you increase your overall lead.
Bardet took the wrong option in trying for the stage over GC.
67 seconds and 6 bonus seconds, but it could have been 10 seconds more.
Would have been right up Froome's GC rear.

Pinot saves his Dauphine with the stage win and the KOM title in his sights.


Yes, bardet looking at pinot I think cost him more than the four seconds he'd have gained with the stage win

Top 5 separated by 35 seconds now

Porte had his usual disappointing day after a very good day, though not as dissapointing as usual.
HuwB

Out to lunch, so will be watching both races later.

The 19 riders in the lead are: Robert Kiserlovski (Tinkoff), Jérémy Roy (FDJ), Alexey Lutsenko (Astana), Ben Gastauer (AG2R-La Mondiale), Daryl Impey (Orica-GreenEdge), Jurgen Van den Broeck (Katusha), Tony Gallopin and Thomas De Gendt (Lotto-Soudal), Stephen Cummings and Daniel Teklehaimanot (Dimension Data), Ryder Hesjedal (Trek-Segafredo), Nelson Oliveira (Movistar), Romain Sicard (Direct Energie), Jack Bauer and Tom-Jelte Slagter (Cannondale), Jérôme Coppel (IAM Cycling), Bartosz Huzarski and Paul Voss (Bora-Argon 1Cool and Tsgabu Grmay (Lampre-Merida).

peloton 45 seconds back.

Again, they are on the slowest race schedule.
Nolte

Procession ends with Dan martin kicking porte off the podium . happy as I take more wind opening windows than porte took today.

Happy with the three on podium,
Bartali

So ... who leads Astana at the Tour? The Giro winner or the fella who ships 40 minutes at the Dauphine?  Or Rosa perhaps? I would like that.
gerry12ie

Nolte wrote:
Procession ends with Dan martin kicking porte off the podium . happy as I take more wind opening windows than porte took today.

Happy with the three on podium,


Yes, ironic that Sky blocked Porte in, but he races in a soulless, unimaginative way so I'm pleased Bardet and Dan overhauled him and he missed a podium spot.
Bartali

A lot of Sky men at the pointy end of the race today?  I'm not hearing the same criticism I usually hear when Astana have a train on the last climb! Rolling Eyes

BTW - Prologue apart, Rosa an Bertie were perfectly matched throughout the week. Not sure whether that speaks to Rosa's progress or Bertie's waining talents.
HuwB

Bartali wrote:
So ... who leads Astana at the Tour? The Giro winner or the fella who ships 40 minutes at the Dauphine?  Or Rosa perhaps? I would like that.


Aru, no sweat. He's aiming for another late peak and will be red hot in the Tour's final week, where there are 5 mountains stages directly in a line before Paris.
Unfortunately for him, so is Quintana, who will probably flying like a Condor by the time stage 16 comes around.

Pretty boring finale, but overall a decent Dauphine.
Certainly better than the ones that used to have the life sucked out of them with a 40km+ ITT.
Bartali

LOL Smile
mazda

HuwB wrote:
where there are 5 mountains stages directly in a line before Paris.

5 ?
I do agree that it looks a phenominally hard looking tour.
3 proper days in the Pyrenees, Ventoux, Colombier, 4 days in the Alps.
HuwB

mazda wrote:
HuwB wrote:
where there are 5 mountains stages directly in a line before Paris.

5 ?
I do agree that it looks a phenominally hard looking tour.
3 proper days in the Pyrenees, Ventoux, Colombier, 4 days in the Alps.


Apologies.
I forgot that the ITT is sandwiched between the Colombier day and the 4 Alpine stages.
If anything that highlights the need to be strong, late on, even more.
There's a long, medium mountain stage, coming out of Limoges I would add to your list. It has a pretty nasty looking sting in it's tail.

So, yes, a really hard Tour this year. On paper, much better than the wishy washy Giro course.
Boogerd_Fan

not so many MTFs though, which might favor Nibs over Aru/Rosa?

Im happy the Pyranees comes before the Ventoux - and that Ventoux is relatively late in the race. SKYbots wont be able to marshall it like first mountain stage.
HuwB

Boogerd_Fan wrote:
not so many MTFs though, which might favor Nibs over Aru/Rosa?

Im happy the Pyranees comes before the Ventoux - and that Ventoux is relatively late in the race. SKYbots wont be able to marshall it like first mountain stage.


Ventoux is at more or less the half way mark of the race.
As for the downhill opportunities, forget Morzine. If you aren't first or there abouts on the Joux Plane, you ain't going to win it on that short downhill.
Same with the Lac du Payoll stage: about 6kms off the top of the Aspin.

So, it's all down to attacking early.
The Skybots controlling is exactly the same as any other GC leader's team only better.
They won't worry Quintana much, come that mountain ladened third week.
Bartali

HuwB wrote:

The Skybots controlling is exactly the same as any other GC leader's team only better.
Results suggest otherwise ... I can think of two teams with better GC records in GTs Wink
Boogerd_Fan

Movistar lost the tour last year in the first week, so hopefully they will be attentive on the way down western France.
HuwB

Bartali wrote:
HuwB wrote:

The Skybots controlling is exactly the same as any other GC leader's team only better.
Results suggest otherwise ... I can think of two teams with better GC records in GTs Wink


Odd then that those two teams don't get anywhere near the same level of criticism on other forum for doing it.
I guess those places must be biased.

Bartali wrote:
A lot of Sky men at the pointy end of the race today?  I'm not hearing the same criticism I usually hear when Astana have a train on the last climb! Rolling Eyes


That's because they aren't as good at it. Or so I have heard. Wink  Laughing
Bartali

Touché Smile  Made me laugh!! Smile Smile

       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> Cycling Forum
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum