Archive for justcycling.myfastforum.org Just Cycling
 


       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> The Coffee Lounge
kathy

Anyone tried Windows 7 yet?

Has anyone tried this yet?  And if so, which version?

I gave Vista a miss, so I'm still on XP Pro, but from what I've heard so far, Windows 7 sounds as if it's far superior to Vista.

Any thoughts?
bianchigirl

Got a copy sitting next to my PC - looking for a spare few hours to load it on the desktop and netbook (former on Vista, latter on XP). Quite like XP so will evaluate on desktop first I think - will let you know, though I'm sure someone else will have used it by the time I get round to upgrading Very Happy
Slapshot 3

Played with it for half an hour at work. Looks rather good certainly a hundred times better than Vista
TNG

Have been running Windows 7 Professional on 'spare' laptop and then desktop (in dual boot mode) for over a week now and have to say am very pleased and impressed. Like you had not upgraded from XP to Vista due to poor reviews. Will probably upgrade 'main' laptop this weekend...

Having an IT background my mantra has always been 'don't upgrade to a new OS until Service Pack 1 has been released'....however have been able to forego that based on several reviews plus recommendations from several ex-colleagues (real geeks, bit like Bruce Willis' accomplice in Diehard 4). They have been running Win 7 for a year or so in pre-beta and beta modes and had no hesitation in recommending it to me.

Experience to date has been very positive, upgrading was a doddle and only a couple of minor issues came to light when reloading all my applications, meaning one or two drivers had to be updated....but that was simplicity itself.

One thing you will need to be aware of if you are thinking of upgrading from XP to Win7 is that a 'clean' install will be required, meaning ALL of your apps will need to be reinstalled afterwards. However, by all accounts legacy hardware such as printers and scanners are very easy to get going afterwards....I have a network attached HP 'all in one' that has no official Win7 driver, but was very easily installed using the Add Printer function.

No hesitation in recommending it to any XP or Vista user. This review may be helpful:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/352642/microsoft-windows-7
Mrs John Murphy

When you say 'All your apps will need to be reinstalled' what does that include? games? things like office? or just hardware like printers?
Slapshot 3

Mrs John Murphy wrote:
When you say 'All your apps will need to be reinstalled' what does that include? games? things like office? or just hardware like printers?


EVERYTHING..... Rolling Eyes

But if it's as good as it appears up front, it's worth a couple of hours putting it together
last km

Its got to be better than Vista.........it was Vista that made me convert to a mac (sic)
TNG

Slapshot 3 wrote:
Mrs John Murphy wrote:
When you say 'All your apps will need to be reinstalled' what does that include? games? things like office? or just hardware like printers?


EVERYTHING..... Rolling Eyes

But if it's as good as it appears up front, it's worth a couple of hours putting it together


Agree with this. However, re games....my son is a serious gamer and he is currently resisting my offer to upgrade his beast of a machine from Vista to Windows 7, for 2 reasons:

1. He still hasn't got over the WOWness factor of the PC {about 6 months old), so sees no reason to upgrade yet.
2. More importantly he was picking up some negative vibes from the hard-core gaming community forums when the first beta version of Windows 7 was released, along the lines of 'this gives us nothing, so no reason to change'.  To some degree this is echoed in that review I posted earlier, in that 'under the covers' Windows 7 appears no faster than Vista, and in some benchmarks is a bit slower. The difference is in the UI, and the responsiveness of Windows 7 giving a 'wow this is much slicker' feeling.

I don't know if that feeling in the gaming community is still there, I will ask my son to check when he gets off his sick-bed (down with a chest infection and the lingering effects). I am most definitely NOT a gamer (Solitaire and Freecell are about my mark  Laughing  Laughing ), so if you are a serious gamer and are contemplating the move, it might be worth checking first to avoid any disappointment.

BTW, you CAN upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 without then having to reinstall your applications, but as SS3 says going from XP to 7 is still worth the time investment of reinstalling your apps.
TNG

last km wrote:
Its got to be better than Vista.........it was Vista that made me convert to a mac (sic)


I'd need a small lottery win before I could think of going over to Apple. Laughing  Shocked
last km

I bought it through my company so it was a lot less painful  Cool
Fontfroide

TNG wrote:


I'd need a small lottery win before I could think of going over to Apple. Laughing  Shocked


Actually, a friend persuaded me to make the switch.  I did not win the lottery.  I bought a MacBook, plastic white.  They made and marketed a product that is meant to be accessible to the well heeled masses.  Students even.  Apparently flying off the shelves.  When I get converted I will tell you if getting rid of Windows and related problems is really worth the bother.

Been over ten years since I used a Mac.  At that point, when I had a PC at home and Mac at work, I found the difference minimal.  Don't know if it has changed.  But I really have been seriously unimpressed with the trivial hassle of Windows and PCs, considering I just want to use the damn things.  I don't want to know about them.  Not like a bike.
TNG

The issue isn't so much the cost of the computer (expensive though that may be)....it would be the significant cost of replacing all of my application software. One example: I have (and use) Adobe's CS3 Design Premium edition....now unavailable so would need to go to CS4....current retail price at Adobe's shop is in excess of £1500. Add in Lightroom (or could buy Aperture I suppose), Office, some other fairly expensive apps.....

So will stay with Windows until I get that lottery win! Laughing
thunderthighs

just did last nite...awesome.. very .. may need service pack soon.... ciao
Fontfroide

TNG wrote:
The issue isn't so much the cost of the computer (expensive though that may be)....it would be the significant cost of replacing all of my application software. One example: I have (and use) Adobe's CS3 Design Premium edition....now unavailable so would need to go to CS4....current retail price at Adobe's shop is in excess of £1500. Add in Lightroom (or could buy Aperture I suppose), Office, some other fairly expensive apps.....

So will stay with Windows until I get that lottery win! Laughing


Good point.  I forgot about the costly apps, since I don't have any software that I pay for and am told the Mac comes with all a guy like me might need.  I am not a sophisticated user.
berck

TNG wrote:

...To some degree this is echoed in that review I posted earlier, in that 'under the covers' Windows 7 appears no faster than Vista...


I haven't tried Win 7 yet, but my experience with Vista has shone me this. WinXP is much faster than Vista. If Win7 isn't any faster than Vista. I see no point in upgrading from an XP machine to Win7. Unless you want a better looking interface.

I develop software under Windows. This software does a lot of heavy math computations and displays some simple vector graphics. With the same hardware configuration, we did some demos of our software. Our software under Vista runs at 75% of the speed on XP.

If you have Vista, fine, I would upgrade. If you have XP, forget it. You'll be better off buying new hardware that will help the performance of Vista. You'll need it, including more memory. I suggest at least 2GB of RAM.

This has been one area where Apple shines much better than Microsoft. Each release of OS X is at least the same speed or a little bit faster on the same hardware as the previous release. Not so with Microsoft OSes.
Jackov

berck wrote:
TNG wrote:

...To some degree this is echoed in that review I posted earlier, in that 'under the covers' Windows 7 appears no faster than Vista...


I haven't tried Win 7 yet, but my experience with Vista has shone me this. WinXP is much faster than Vista. If Win7 isn't any faster than Vista. I see no point in upgrading from an XP machine to Win7. Unless you want a better looking interface.

I develop software under Windows. This software does a lot of heavy math computations and displays some simple vector graphics. With the same hardware configuration, we did some demos of our software. Our software under Vista runs at 75% of the speed on XP.

If you have Vista, fine, I would upgrade. If you have XP, forget it. You'll be better off buying new hardware that will help the performance of Vista. You'll need it, including more memory. I suggest at least 2GB of RAM.

This has been one area where Apple shines much better than Microsoft. Each release of OS X is at least the same speed or a little bit faster on the same hardware as the previous release. Not so with Microsoft OSes.


No interest in Azure? The only reason I'm considering upgrading one of my machines from XP is to start pushing some apps out there and compare them to same app hosted with Amazon.
Biosphere

TNG wrote:
. . . One example: I have (and use) Adobe's CS3 Design Premium edition....now unavailable so would need to go to CS4....current retail price at Adobe's shop is in excess of £1500. Add in Lightroom . . .


Don't they do Picasa for the Mac?  Wink

So what nice camera do you have to go with all that nice SW?
berck

Jackov wrote:

No interest in Azure? The only reason I'm considering upgrading one of my machines from XP is to start pushing some apps out there and compare them to same app hosted with Amazon.


Not really. Our apps have to be able to be used assuming that net access isn't available.
TNG

Biosphere wrote:
TNG wrote:
. . . One example: I have (and use) Adobe's CS3 Design Premium edition....now unavailable so would need to go to CS4....current retail price at Adobe's shop is in excess of £1500. Add in Lightroom . . .


Don't they do Picasa for the Mac?  Wink

So what nice camera do you have to go with all that nice SW?


You're WUMming me, right? Laughing

Don't get me wrong, I like (and use) Picasa very much....but only for organising (the latest version with face recognition is really cool). IMO it's one of the best pieces of free software available.

BUT...whilst it does have editing capability it is (unsurprisingly and understandably) quite basic in comparision with Lightroom (and presumably Aperture on a Mac). And as for pixel-editing.....I seriously doubt that anything can beat Photoshop....does Picasa even do pixel-editing?

And you know all this of course!

So I really don't think I could do what FF is doing....buy a Mac and find it has all the software I need/want. In fact I know I couldn't.
kathy

So, getting back to Windows 7 - thank you for all the responses - as I'm reasonably happy with XP Pro, I think I might leave things as they are for the time being.  I'm very wary of change for the sake of it - for a disastrous few months we had Millenium on one of our machines.  Of all the Windows OP's I think 98 was my favourite.  I don't do a lot of 'heavy' stuff on my PC.  I use Word and PUblisher a fair amount, and Excel for the FP's and a few other things.  All my photos are stored here, I use Picasa as well.  I also have a genuine version of Adobe Photoshop which I can't load because I can't find the password.  I've also found something called Serif Photo Plus 9 - anyone know what this is?  Is it worth setting up?  I don't play modern games, things like Scrabble and Griddlers are my limit!
TNG

kathy wrote:
So, getting back to Windows 7 - thank you for all the responses - as I'm reasonably happy with XP Pro, I think I might leave things as they are for the time being.  I'm very wary of change for the sake of it - for a disastrous few months we had Millenium on one of our machines.  Of all the Windows OP's I think 98 was my favourite.  I don't do a lot of 'heavy' stuff on my PC.  I use Word and PUblisher a fair amount, and Excel for the FP's and a few other things.  All my photos are stored here, I use Picasa as well.  I also have a genuine version of Adobe Photoshop which I can't load because I can't find the password.  I've also found something called Serif Photo Plus 9 - anyone know what this is?  Is it worth setting up?  I don't play modern games, things like Scrabble and Griddlers are my limit!


If you (or anyone else) is happy with XP, and don't feel the need to upgrade, then staying as you are is a perfectly reasonable thing to do....for the time being. At some point in the future, may be a few or many years ahead, XP will no longer be supported by Microsoft and for those folks still running XP it becomes decision time....and even then continuing to do nothing is still OK (bet there are people still running Win98), provided you understand and accept the risks.

For those who DO like change, or are simply concerned at being on a platform which will be developed less and less, I do believe that upgrading to Windows 7 IS a viable option, with a couple of provisos:

1. Your hardware spec has to be good enough, or you are prepared to spend the money to make is so. In particular, note that your graphics card must have at least 128mb of memory to use the Aero feature, and as Berck stated 2gb of RAM would also be good.
2. You will not be overly impacted by the performance difference between XP and Windows 7. If, like Berck, you are running highly CPU-intensive applications then you may have a problem....and you might have to wait for Windows 8 or 9 (or switch to Mac)! However, I would think the vast majority of PC users would notice little, if any, performance difference....a lot of our perception about speed of the CPU is based around the speed of the UI....which is far superior on Windows 7 than Vista, and from my initial use on my laptop compares favourably with XP Pro as well. Early days, though....still have to start some photo editing on 10+mb files.

Never heard of Serif Photo Plus 9, Kathy....so can't advise about it. But if you are getting by with Picasa, do you need it?
Slapshot 3

Windows 7....superb, we've thrown a huge pile of stuff at the laptop in work (it is a goody.... 500GB internal, 6Gb RAM). Stuck photoshop CS3 extended onto it the other night to play, whatever they have done with "7" it runs resource hungry apps really well, throwing a High Dynamic Range image at it didn't phase it one bit, really good. Now investigating a new laptop (maybe nick the one from work  Wink ) with "7" on it, I don't think this one would do it justice!!
Biosphere

TNG wrote:
...whilst Picasa does have editing capability it is (unsurprisingly and understandably) quite basic in comparision with Lightroom . . .


Yeah but can Lightroom make a video from your snapshots, overlay an MP3 pop tune and upload the results to Youtube? Thought not Wink

Now I see Slappers is HDRing using CS3. I'm beginning to get an inferiority complex stuck back at PS7.
Slapshot 3

Very Happy  Very Happy

I don't do arty very often to be honest, prefer shooting Trials but.....


or

or

or


Last one is a project based on a supplied image, can't take credit for the original. However..... the HDR project was just to irritate someone at work.  Rolling Eyes  I have a four feet long canvas wrap print of the last one or one of the group I did
Slapshot 3

Wildlife????



I'll stop showin off now... Cool
TNG

Biosphere wrote:


Yeah but can Lightroom make a video from your snapshots, overlay an MP3 pop tune and upload the results to Youtube? Thought not Wink



Thanks for letting me know that. It's great that you can do all that using free software (Microsoft's own Photo Story 3 - also free - has similar capabilities I believe), but can't do it with software costing over £200.

Trouble is....I don't have an actual requirement to be able to make a video from my snapshots, overlay an MP3 pop tune and upload the results to Youtube. Oh well....
kathy

Biosphere wrote:
TNG wrote:
...whilst Picasa does have editing capability it is (unsurprisingly and understandably) quite basic in comparision with Lightroom . . .


Yeah but can Lightroom make a video from your snapshots, overlay an MP3 pop tune and upload the results to Youtube? Thought not Wink
7.


And Youtube will promptly ban it because you don't have rights to broadcast the video Evil or Very Mad

Sorry, I'm still annoyed at Youtube for the autocratic way they cut my Moncoutié video, even though they finally found in my favour about a month later - the Vuelta was over and forgotten by then.
TNG

Nice pics, Slappy. Laughing  Laughing

Especially like the Morlich one, very moody.
Biosphere

TNG wrote:

Trouble is....I don't have an actual requirement to be able to make a video from my snapshots, overlay an MP3 pop tune and upload the results to Youtube. Oh well....


I imagine I have even less of a need of the above, but you gotta keep the pesky kids happy. Wink Just in case there's any doubt I'd upgrade to CS4 and LR2 in a flash  Very Happy


Nice pics Slapshot. Dragonflys are sent by the devil to taunt macro photographers.

Slapshot3 wrote:
Wildlife????


I'll snap anything really. Some efforts from the last month (not sure why there are Caterpillars in November though)


Click to see full size image


Click to see full size image


Click to see full size image

Kathy wrote:
And Youtube will promptly ban it because you don't have rights to broadcast the video


I suspect a big part of that problem was the TV rights holder making a complaint that had no basis in fact, but Youtube being obliged to treat it like an injunction until it was reviewed? Completely crap for you though. Did they give you much communication/feedback.
TNG

Biosphere wrote:
TNG wrote:

Trouble is....I don't have an actual requirement to be able to make a video from my snapshots, overlay an MP3 pop tune and upload the results to Youtube. Oh well....


I imagine I have even less of a need of the above, but you gotta keep the pesky kids happy. Wink Just in case there's any doubt I'd upgrade to CS4 and LR2 in a flash  Very Happy




Well, glad to get that cleared up, was a tad concerned at one point!

So, if you are seriously interested in CS4 you might want to check out Adobe's Student Editions, but don't be put off by the name. These are NOT stripped down versions, rather the complete product(s) that just happen to be badged as Student Edition. Courtesy of my student son I am fortunate to have the full CS3 package (Photoshop CS3 Extended, Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, Bridge plus various other bits) and I (sorry, he Laughing ) paid £245 for it whereas retail price at the time was over £1500. Just checked, and CS4 Design Premium Student Edition can be purchased for £273, a saving of about £1250 over Retail. Just buying Photoshop CS4 Extended would be £155, and Lightroom would set you back £90.

Start here to check eligibility, though sadly I doubt the little fella in your pictures is quite old enough to qualify....got any nephews/nieces in secondary or further education?

https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/...duConditions&store=OLS-EDU-UK

BTW, out of technical interest how did you light the caterpillar shot?
Biosphere

TNG wrote:
BTW, out of technical interest how did you light the caterpillar shot?


It was indoors on a Basil plant, so the pot was moved to the dining table, the black background is the Mrs's tracksuit. Bounce flash directly upwards with a sheet of paper angled at about 30 degrees from the horizontal a few cm above the flash with a secondary sheet of paper held under the lens/caterpillar to get a bit of lighting from below from a second bounce, but that didn't make much difference (I guess the second bounce is relatively weak so it can't be seen so readily). Totally amateur, but I've normally no need for a ring flash.

Focal distance was very marginally more than 20cm (lens end stop) and it's close to true macro (1:1 on sensor). Took it at the weekend and it was my first attempt at a "studio" macro, so I was pleased with the end result after various experiments over the course of an hour. I'm in awe of people who get much better results in the field with much less co-operative subjects.

Thanks for Adobe advice. Will mull it over.
kathy

Biosphere wrote:


Kathy wrote:
And Youtube will promptly ban it because you don't have rights to broadcast the video


I suspect a big part of that problem was the TV rights holder making a complaint that had no basis in fact, but Youtube being obliged to treat it like an injunction until it was reviewed? Completely crap for you though. Did they give you much communication/feedback.


None whatsoever.  They just mailed me about a month after they'd taken it off and said they'd reinstated it.

Some lovely photos on this thread now!

Re student editions of software.  My husband and I were able to buy the Student Edition of Microsoft Office after we told them we were students of French (we were living in France at the time) Laughing
TNG

kathy wrote:


Re student editions of software.  My husband and I were able to buy the Student Edition of Microsoft Office after we told them we were students of French (we were living in France at the time) Laughing


The problem with Microsoft Student Editions was (still is) the fact that they were not the complete package, i.e. apps like Outlook and Access typically weren't included. Also the price reduction was never spectacular, which is why the Adobe Student offering seems so much richer....the complete packages with something like an 80% price reduction. Shocked

However, check out some of Microsoft's current student offerings:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/.../theultimatesteal-uk/default.aspx

Office 2007 Ultimate Edition for £38, Windows 7 Professional for £30! Pretty impressive I guess.

Anyway, back to the subject of Windows 7, I continue to be impressed. Had our first instance of an older app (something called Matlab which son is using as part of his Uni project) not working on Win7. So ran the 'troubleshoot compatability' feature and told the OS that the app runs OK in Vista SP1, so it adjusted the startup settings accordingly and, hey presto the app now works.  Laughing  Laughing

Latest review in PcPro, this time from a Mac user/writer doing a 'what do I think and would I switch from Mac to Win7' feature. If course he wouldn't (maybe), but an interesting article and conclusion, I think:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009...c-vs-windows-7-the-final-verdict/
TNG

Biosphere wrote:
TNG wrote:
BTW, out of technical interest how did you light the caterpillar shot?


It was indoors on a Basil plant, so the pot was moved to the dining table, the black background is the Mrs's tracksuit. Bounce flash directly upwards with a sheet of paper angled at about 30 degrees from the horizontal a few cm above the flash with a secondary sheet of paper held under the lens/caterpillar to get a bit of lighting from below from a second bounce, but that didn't make much difference (I guess the second bounce is relatively weak so it can't be seen so readily). Totally amateur, but I've normally no need for a ring flash.

Focal distance was very marginally more than 20cm (lens end stop) and it's close to true macro (1:1 on sensor). Took it at the weekend and it was my first attempt at a "studio" macro, so I was pleased with the end result after various experiments over the course of an hour. I'm in awe of people who get much better results in the field with much less co-operative subjects.

Thanks for Adobe advice. Will mull it over.


Well, a very effective jury-rig job, I would say. Was the camera hand-held or on a tripod?

Whatever, chapeau and thanks for sharing! Laughing
kathy

TNG wrote:

The problem with Microsoft Student Editions was (still is) the fact that they were not the complete package, i.e. apps like Outlook and Access typically weren't included.


This has me very puzzled.  People have told me this before, that the Student Edition is not the complete package.  What I have is Microsoft Office 2000 Premium (albeit in French!), but it does include Access and Outlook (4CD's in total) - we paid about 50GBP for it as opposed to the recommended price of over 500GBP at the time.  We actually bought it off the shopping channel, QVC, and the system was that your 'local' Microsoft provider asked you for information about your 'student' status.  Ours was in Brussels at the time for some reason, although we had just moved to France.  We sent them proof that my husband had just purchased a BBC French course, and we were both still registered with Doncaster college as students of French at the time - they were perfectly satisfied with that!

PS I have never used either Access or Outlook, although they are both on my PC Very Happy
Biosphere

TNG wrote:
Was the camera hand-held or on a tripod?


Tripod.

Literally had my hands full with two sheets of paper and shutter release. Even, if I didn't the 3mm DOF (60mm lens at 20cm at f/11) means hand holding would be too inaccurate even for someone with the physical poise and grace of Terry Henry Evil or Very Mad
TNG

kathy wrote:
TNG wrote:

The problem with Microsoft Student Editions was (still is) the fact that they were not the complete package, i.e. apps like Outlook and Access typically weren't included.


This has me very puzzled.  People have told me this before, that the Student Edition is not the complete package.  What I have is Microsoft Office 2000 Premium (albeit in French!), but it does include Access and Outlook (4CD's in total) - we paid about 50GBP for it as opposed to the recommended price of over 500GBP at the time.  We actually bought it off the shopping channel, QVC, and the system was that your 'local' Microsoft provider asked you for information about your 'student' status.  Ours was in Brussels at the time for some reason, although we had just moved to France.  We sent them proof that my husband had just purchased a BBC French course, and we were both still registered with Doncaster college as students of French at the time - they were perfectly satisfied with that!

PS I have never used either Access or Outlook, although they are both on my PC Very Happy


Kathy, I think you are getting a little confused between "Student Edition" and "Student Offering". If you look at the current packages/bundles for Office 2007:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/fx101635841033.aspx

you will see a variety of different options....all of which are available off the shelf, and you see that the 'Home and Student Edition' does not contain Outlook, Publisher or Access. What you have is NOT the Office 2000 Student Edition, but the more fully featured Premium Edition....available to anyone to buy, but especially discounted for 'proper' students. This is similar to the current special student offer for Office 2007 as per the link in my earlier post.

Hope this has cleared up any confusion.  Laughing  Laughing
TNG

Biosphere wrote:
.....even for someone with the physical poise and grace of Terry Henry Evil or Very Mad


Ah....not best pleased about the game last night?

Understandable reaction by the Irish FA, but a complete waste of time I guess. Still, might make Henry squirm a little for a short while....but then again, it probably won't! Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes
Biosphere

TNG wrote:
Still, might make Henry squirm a little for a short while....but but then again, it probably won't!


I doubt it. I've not heard a single mention today of this incident from the last World Cup


Link


No shame then either and pathetic given his comments about Barcelona's backs (including Puyol) a few months earlier in the CL final.

I can be philosophical about defeat and Ireland were awarded a ludicrous and match changing penalty in the qualifiers, but it does feel that authorities in any sport will turn a blind eye to cheating if there's enough money involved.
bianchigirl

Bio that is one cute little kid!

All these pontificating ex players make me laugh - would love to see every one of them own up to every professional foul, dive and dodgy thing they managed to get away with in their careers.

On topic - TNG looks like I need to upgrade then - apparently it's even good on the Samsung NC10 (my little sammy that I do most stuff on these days)
TNG

bianchigirl wrote:


On topic - TNG looks like I need to upgrade then - apparently it's even good on the Samsung NC10 (my little sammy that I do most stuff on these days)


Well, 'need to upgrade' is probably a little strong, perhaps 'good to upgrade' may be better. Whatever, before you (or anyone else for that matter) takes the plunge, suggest you run the Windows7 Upgrade Advisor....a free app from MS which will analyze your PC and give you a report which identifies your upgrade options and potential problem areas.

It's available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/download...1-2497c146af15&displayLang=en
berck

I think TNG is right. Run the advisor first. I would highly suggest waiting. The Atom processor is slower than the Core Duo's. I suspect you'll see a performance drop switching from XP. If you are currently running Vista, no problem then.
kathy

TNG, thank you for explaining the student edition.  We wouldn't have considered anything that didn't have Publisher, because that's what we used most of all at the time.

I've just run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor.  I would have to do a custom install, my graphics card does not support Aero, and I can no longer have OUtlook Express, which I don't use anyway!  But you live and learn.  I thought this PC had 2Gb of RAM, but it informed me I have IGB.  I shall have to investigate further.
bianchigirl

Already did that on the Samsung - seems fine and all reports I've read say it runs it no problem - might be worth doing the easy peasy memory upgrade though.

Desktop is quad core running Vista so don't envisage that being incompatible - my proble is I have no space to store backups unless I do a disk partition - any recommendations on that TNG?
TNG

kathy wrote:
TNG, thank you for explaining the student edition.  We wouldn't have considered anything that didn't have Publisher, because that's what we used most of all at the time.

I've just run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor.  I would have to do a custom install, my graphics card does not support Aero, and I can no longer have OUtlook Express, which I don't use anyway!  But you live and learn.  I thought this PC had 2Gb of RAM, but it informed me I have IGB.  I shall have to investigate further.


Re your report from the Upgrade Advisor:

1. Custom install is what I referred to earlier...going from XP to Win7 means re-installing all your applications.
2. Graphics Card....I've upgraded 3 PCs now and on each one I had the same report from the Advisor.....and in each case it was wrong and Aero works just fine. It may be something to do with the fact that XP only supports up to DirectX ver 9, whereas Aero requires minimum of ver 10....but the Win7 installer will install ver 11! Provided your graphics card has at least 128mb of memory, then you should find that Aero will work OK.
3. Outlook Express is now replaced by Windows Live Mail, although it is NOT installed automatically, you have to go get it from the MS site afterwards....but as you don't use OE, you're not likely to need Live Mail! Laughing
TNG

bianchigirl wrote:
Already did that on the Samsung - seems fine and all reports I've read say it runs it no problem - might be worth doing the easy peasy memory upgrade though.

Desktop is quad core running Vista so don't envisage that being incompatible - my proble is I have no space to store backups unless I do a disk partition - any recommendations on that TNG?


Oh Dear...backups!

The following is my opinion only, and under no circumstances is to be treated as Gospel.  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

For a start, I just don't get partitioning of your hard drive (unless you want to setup a dual-boot environment). Yes there MAY be some marginal performance benefits in separating data from Windows and Program Files directories, but that's all that I can see. For BACKUP purposes (i.e. create a seperate disk partition purely for backup files), I think you would be just wasting your time. If the hard drive crashes, it won't matter if you have carefully separated your data.....you've lost it ALL!

Thus for Backup purposes, IMO you need separate Hard Drives....and preferably EXTERNAL to the PC in question. You could of course take regular backups to CD/DVD, but never found that terribly practical. My (very much OTT) backup regime is as follows:

1. Desktop - used primarily as a digital editing (pictures) workstation and main repository of my digital music. So the data sources on here that I must protect are the original RAW photographic images, the Lightroom Databases (contains all the edits to original RAW files), exported JPEG files, all MP3 music files and iTunes sync data. I don't worry about Operating System or Program Files, as I can reconstitute these from the original CD/DVDs....but you CAN'T reconstitute those pictures of your kids dressed up for the school prom, or on graduation day! So in the desktop I have 2 hard-drives - Drive 1 contains all the afore-said data and the Win XP installation. Drive 2 contains my new Win7 installation, plus a weekly incremental backup of the data on Drive 1. IN ADDITION, I have an external (USB) HDD which contains a second backup of the data on Drive 1...and finally I have a portable 500gb HDD (USB powered, so no power adapter to keep replacing), fits in my shirt pocket, and to which I take a THIRD backup of my data. I did say it was OTT Laughing , but having been burnt once and lost some precious pictures, it is NOT going to happen again.
2. Laptop - used as main email and surfing PC (i.e. can watch the cycling on the TV and keep in touch with the world). Although I have copies of my music files and exported JPEGs, the only data of consequence that needs backing up are my Outlook .PST folders (historical emails, up-to-date contact and calendar entries). Using the same incremental backup utility I back this data up to an external HDD on the dock station, PLUS a second backup to that portable HDD mentioned above.

And finally, ALL software that I buy/acquire is copied to a 'Master Software' folder which I keep on the two external HDDs and the portable HDD....just in case I lose the original discs! Laughing  Laughing

Long answer to a simple question. Sorry. Embarassed

Best advice, if you have data that you would HATE to lose, back it up regularly and often, and preferably to an external source. I can recommend the Western Digital Passport drives (portable, no power source needed as powered by the USB hub). Costs about £80 for a 500gb drive.

And before anyone out there feels the need to say it, yes I know I would be better off with a NAS....that's next on my to-do list! Laughing
bianchigirl

Thanks for that v complete answer TNG - before I even begin this process I need to get rid of a load of crap that I've kept accumulating - I seem to have 3 copies of my uni coursework all in slightly different locations for a start. I suspect that my 'can't lose' stuff will go on a stick really - do have an external HDD that is, yes, full of accumulated crap...Wink I'll get it sorted one day when I don't spend my free time looking at cycling websites Laughing
Biosphere

bianchigirl wrote:
Bio that is one cute little kid!


Ta - we think so too  Very Happy
Biosphere

TNG wrote:
. . check out Adobe's Student Editions . .


Have downloaded the beta of LR3. It's valid for the next 5 months if anyone else is interested.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/
TNG

Biosphere wrote:
TNG wrote:
. . check out Adobe's Student Editions . .


Have downloaded the beta of LR3. It's valid for the next 5 months if anyone else is interested.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/


Thanks for the reminder....I had forgotten about the release! Embarassed

Just had a quick look at the changes from 2.5, and see they are making a big play about performance improvements and new 'state-of-the-art' noise reduction, so will definitely download and test it out.

Laughing I see that Adobe have caught up with Picasa in that you can now do those picture movies with audio to keep the kids happy. Laughing

Don't know if you are an experienced LR user or not....if the latter and you are considering a permanent investment in this technology, it might be worth spending a few extra quid on a 'how to' book. I have both the Martin Evening and Scott Kelby Lightroom 2 books, and no doubt they will update these idc for LR3. Both are good, though very different styles (and you have to be prepared to put up with Kelby's 'jokey' style which can irritate), but they seem to know their stuff! Certainly helped me get more out the product than I had been getting. Check out the reviews at amazon.co.uk, where both books are on half-price offers at the minute:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_...words=lightroom+2&x=0&y=0
cadence

TNG wrote:
The issue isn't so much the cost of the computer (expensive though that may be)....it would be the significant cost of replacing all of my application software. One example: I have (and use) Adobe's CS3 Design Premium edition....now unavailable so would need to go to CS4....current retail price at Adobe's shop is in excess of £1500. Add in Lightroom (or could buy Aperture I suppose), Office, some other fairly expensive apps.....

So will stay with Windows until I get that lottery win! Laughing


http://store.apple.com/us/product...de=MTY1NDA1Mw&mco=MTM3NDgwODc

Smile
TNG

cadence wrote:
TNG wrote:
The issue isn't so much the cost of the computer (expensive though that may be)....it would be the significant cost of replacing all of my application software. One example: I have (and use) Adobe's CS3 Design Premium edition....now unavailable so would need to go to CS4....current retail price at Adobe's shop is in excess of £1500. Add in Lightroom (or could buy Aperture I suppose), Office, some other fairly expensive apps.....

So will stay with Windows until I get that lottery win! Laughing


http://store.apple.com/us/product...de=MTY1NDA1Mw&mco=MTM3NDgwODc

Smile


Thanks for the info, looks very interesting.

So all I need to do now then is buy a Mac, this product, AND a new Win7 license? Laughing

Still gonna need that lottery win I reckon.
Biosphere

We seem to have multiple PC threads going, so I just picked one for some info I came across. Might especially be of use to any Linux users.

I've not used it, so all the usual caveats etc.

===================================

SoftMaker's Office suite is essentially similar to (and compatible with)
Microsoft Office 2003, but with a lighter footprint and is very useable on older PCs, where the alternative of OpenOffice may be too resource hungry.

Anyway, they are now launching the 2010 edition of SoftMaker Office, and have decided not only to give away their 2008 edition, but to also donate €0.10 per download to charity.
       
Home page: http://www.softmaker.com/english/
FAQ: http://loadandhelp.com/faq-en.html
Progress: http://loadandhelp.com/news/40-ne...irst-day-and-first-donations.html

You need to download it by December 31st 2009, and you do need to register it (which costs nothing).  Registration is based on your provided name and email address, and a key will be sent to the given email address.

The registration key is not node locked, and is the same for both Windows and Linux versions. You can register here: http://www.softmaker.de/lh-down-en.htm for either Windows or Linux versions

       justcycling.myfastforum.org Forum Index -> The Coffee Lounge
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum